If you specify the date field as row label in a pivot table, you can easily group dates by Week, month, quarter, etc. But, if you specify a number filed as row label, could you group by specified range? Of course yes! This article will guide you to group by the range in an Excel pivot table.
Supposing I have a table of student scores as below screenshot shown. Now I need to count the number of students by score range. Please follow steps to get it done.
1. Select the table, and click Insert > PivotTable.
2. In the Create PivotTable dialog box, please select a destination range to place the pivot table, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. Now go to the PivotTable Fields pane, please drag and drop Score field to the Rows section, and drag and drop Name field to the Values section.
4. Go to the pivot table, right click any score in the Row Labels column, and select Group from the context menu. See screenshot:
5. Now the Grouping dialog box comes out. The smallest score and largest score are extracted and entered into the Starting at and Ending at boxes separately. Please enter interval into the By box, and click the OK button.
Now you will see the scores are grouped in the pivot table. See screenshot:
Easily groups cells and calculate by values in another column in Excel
With Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Combine Rows feature, you can quick group all cells of one column based on values in another column, or calculate (sum, count, average, max, etc.) these cells by the values in another column at ease! Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.