How to group a pivot table by day of week in Excel?
It’s easy to group dates by days/months/years in a pivot table in Excel, but do you know how to group dates by the day of weeks in a pivot table as below screenshots shown? This article will guide you to finish it.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Actually pivot table does not support group dates by the day of weeks. However, we can add a helper column about day of week in the source data, and then group dates by the helper field in your pivot table. Please do as follows:
1. Insert a blank column in the source data, type Day of Week as column name, next type the formula =TEXT(A2,"ddd") in the first cell of the helper column, and finally drag AutoFill Handle down to fill the whole column. See screenshot:
2. Select the source data, and click Insert > PivotTable.
3. In the Create PivotTable dialog box, select a destination range to place the pivot table, and click the OK button.
4. In the PivotTable Fields pane, please drag and drop the Day of Week field to the Rows section, and drag and drop the Sales field to the Values section. See screenshot:
And now you will see the dates are grouped by the day of weeks in the new created pivot table automatically. See screenshot above.
Note: If you want to group the dates by month and day of week together, please go ahead to modify the pivot table:
(1) In the PivotTable Fields pane, drag and drop the Date field to the top of Rows section.
(2) In the pivot table, right click any date in the Row Labels column, and select Group in the context menu. Then in the Grouping dialog box, click to highlight Months only in the By list box, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now you will see the dates are grouped by both months and day of weeks in the new created pivot table. See screenshot: