How to group a pivot table by day of week in Excel?
It’s easy to group dates by days/months/years in a pivot table in Excel, but do you know how to group dates by the day of weeks in a pivot table as below screenshots shown? This article will guide you to finish it.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Actually pivot table does not support group dates by the day of weeks. However, we can add a helper column about day of week in the source data, and then group dates by the helper field in your pivot table. Please do as follows:
1. Insert a blank column in the source data, type Day of Week as column name, next type the formula =TEXT(A2,"ddd") in the first cell of the helper column, and finally drag AutoFill Handle down to fill the whole column. See screenshot:
2. Select the source data, and click Insert > PivotTable.
3. In the Create PivotTable dialog box, select a destination range to place the pivot table, and click the OK button.
4. In the PivotTable Fields pane, please drag and drop the Day of Week field to the Rows section, and drag and drop the Sales field to the Values section. See screenshot:
And now you will see the dates are grouped by the day of weeks in the new created pivot table automatically. See screenshot above.
Note: If you want to group the dates by month and day of week together, please go ahead to modify the pivot table:
(1) In the PivotTable Fields pane, drag and drop the Date field to the top of Rows section.
(2) In the pivot table, right click any date in the Row Labels column, and select Group in the context menu. Then in the Grouping dialog box, click to highlight Months only in the By list box, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now you will see the dates are grouped by both months and day of weeks in the new created pivot table. See screenshot: