How to remove internal spaces in Excel string?
In some cases, you may need to remove the internal spaces from strings, such as remove all spaces, remove leading spaces, trailing spaces, or the extra spaces. In this article. I introduce some tricks on solving this task in Excel.
If you want to remove all spaces from a string, just use below formula:
Select a cell where you will put the result, and type this formula =SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""), and press Enter key, then drag the auto fill handle over the cells which need this formula.
If you just want to remove the extra space, leading spaces and the trailing spaces from strings, you can apply this formula:
Select a cell where you will put the result, and type this formula =TRIM(A2), press Enter key, and then the drag the auto fill handle over the cells which need this formula.
But if you just only remove one type of spaces, for instance, you just want to remove the leading spaces, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Remove Spaces utility.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below: （Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the stings you want to remove the spaces, and click Kutools > Text > Remove Spaces. See screenshot:
2. In the Remove Spaces dialog, check one option as you need, for instance, to remove leading spaces only, check Leading spaces option.
3. Click Ok. And only the leading spaces have been removed.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!