How to remove internal spaces in Excel string?
In some cases, you may need to remove the internal spaces from strings, such as remove all spaces, remove leading spaces, trailing spaces, or the extra spaces. In this article. I introduce some tricks on solving this task in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
If you want to remove all spaces from a string, just use below formula:
Select a cell where you will put the result, and type this formula =SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""), and press Enter key, then drag the auto fill handle over the cells which need this formula.
If you just want to remove the extra space, leading spaces and the trailing spaces from strings, you can apply this formula:
Select a cell where you will put the result, and type this formula =TRIM(A2), press Enter key, and then the drag the auto fill handle over the cells which need this formula.
But if you just only remove one type of spaces, for instance, you just want to remove the leading spaces, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Remove Spaces utility.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below: （Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the stings you want to remove the spaces, and click Kutools > Text > Remove Spaces. See screenshot:
2. In the Remove Spaces dialog, check one option as you need, for instance, to remove leading spaces only, check Leading spaces option.
3. Click Ok. And only the leading spaces have been removed.