How to join data from two cells(columns) into one cell in Excel?
In Excel, we can merge two cells into one, but the merged cell only keeps first one cell content. How can we join data from two cells or columns into one row without losing data as below screenshot shown? Now, this article may help you.
Easily Combine columns or rows without losing data in Excel
|With Kutools for Excel's Combine Columns and Rows utility, you can quickly combine multuple cells based on row/column and separated by comma or space, or combine a range of cells into a single cell with specific separator.
For instance, here I do thses operations: (1.)Select Select Combine columns under To combine selected cells according to following options; (2.)Specify a separator for the combined data, here I select Space; (3.))Specify the cell you want to place your combined result; (4.)Specify how you want to deal with the combined cells. Click for 60 days free trial!
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
Here we have one formula that can quickly merge two cells into one but keep both contents.
Select one cell which you will place the result, type this formula =A1&" " &B1, A1 and B1 are the cells you want to join together, “ “ is the separator between two cell contents, press Enter key, and drag fill handle down to apply the formula to cells.
Also, you can copy the cells and paste them into a text file, then do some operations to solve the job.
1. Copy the cells you want to combine, and paste them into a text file.
2. Then press Ctrl + H keys to enable the Replace function, in Find what textbox, type tab character, in Replace with textbox, type the separator you use. You can type the tab character in Word document and then paste it to the textbox.
3. Click Replace All. The tab characters in text file have been replaced with the specified separators. Close the Replace dialog.
4. The copy the texts and paste them back to Excel.
If you usually joint data from cells into one, above methods are not good choices. Kutools for Excel’s Combine Columns and Rows utility can quickly combine cells based on rows or columns into one single cell as you need.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the cells you use, and click Kutools > Combine. See screenshot:
2. In the popping dialog, do as these:
1 Check the option you want to combine cells based on;
2 Check or enter the separator you use;
3 specify the place you want to place the result;
4 Choose one option about the result
3. Click Ok. Then the cells have been combined without losing data.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...