How to merge and update table from another table in Excel?
In this case, in Excel, you have two tables, table 1 and table 2 are in different sheets. Now you want to update table 1 based on table 2 as below screenshot shown, how can you quickly handle it?
Here I have a VLOOKUP formula that can handle the job.
1. Select one blank cell next to the table 1 which will be updated, for instance, D2, and type this formula =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A2,'table 2'!$A$1:$C$5,COLUMN(A1),FALSE),""), then drag autofill handle right and down until blank cells appear.
In the formula, $A2 is the first content in the key column you want to update table based on, 'table 2'!$A$1:$C$5 is the new table, COLUMN(A1) is the key column.
2. Then format the cells as the specified formatting you need
Now both tables are merged and placed in the worksheet of the main table.
In Kutools for Excel’s 120+ utilities, the go coming new function—Tables Merge also can quickly handle this job.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the table you want to update, and click Kutools Plus > Tables Merge.
2. In the Tables Merge wizard, select the new table you want to update based on in Select the lookup table section.
3. Click Next, select the key column you want to update based on.
4. Click Next, check the column(s) you want to update.
5. Click Next, check the column(s) you want to add from new table to the main table.
6. Click Next, and set some options about main table, update data(You can ignore this if you do not need).
7. Click Finish. There will pop out dialogs to remind you some information, just close them. Now the main table has been updated.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!