How to merge and update table from another table in Excel?
In this case, in Excel, you have two tables, table 1 and table 2 are in different sheets. Now you want to update table 1 based on table 2 as below screenshot shown, how can you quickly handle it?
Easily merge two tables and update the new items in Excel
|In some times, you may want to merge two tables into one, and update the itmes and add new ones. Kutools for Excel's Tables Merge utility can merge the Main table with the Lookup table into one, and update the main table as the preview shown. Click for 60 days free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
Here I have a VLOOKUP formula that can handle the job.
1. Select one blank cell next to the table 1 which will be updated, for instance, D2, and type this formula =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A2,'table 2'!$A$1:$C$5,COLUMN(A1),FALSE),""), then drag autofill handle right and down until blank cells appear.
In the formula, $A2 is the first content in the key column you want to update table based on, 'table 2'!$A$1:$C$5 is the new table, COLUMN(A1) is the key column.
2. Then format the cells as the specified formatting you need
Now both tables are merged and placed in the worksheet of the main table.
In Kutools for Excel’s 120+ utilities, the go coming new function—Tables Merge also can quickly handle this job.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the table you want to update, and click Kutools Plus > Tables Merge.
2. In the Tables Merge wizard, select the new table you want to update based on in Select the lookup table section.
3. Click Next, select the key column you want to update based on.
4. Click Next, check the column(s) you want to update.
5. Click Next, check the column(s) you want to add from new table to the main table.
6. Click Next, and set some options about main table, update data(You can ignore this if you do not need).
7. Click Finish. There will pop out dialogs to remind you some information, just close them. Now the main table has been updated.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...