How to add unique id number column for duplicate rows in Excel?
Supposing there are some duplicate data in a column, now you want to add unique ID number for these duplicate rows as below screenshot shown, do you have any good ways to add them? Here, I introduce a formula to help you quickly handle this job in Excel.
To add unique ID number for duplicate data, you can do as these steps:
1. type 1 into the cell which is adjacent to the first data you want to add ID number.
2. Then in the cell below it, type this formula =IF(B1=B2,A1,A1+1), press Enter key to get the first result, drag fill handle down until last data showing up.
In the formula, B1, B2 are the first two cells in the duplicate data column, A1 is the first ID cell.
If you have a list of ID numbers which including some missing numbers as below screenshot shown, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Find Missing Sequence Number utility to quickly find and add the missing number.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the ID numbers you want to insert missing numbers, click Kutools > Insert > Find Missing Sequence Number.
2. In the popping dialog, you can choose one option to add or highlight missing numbers as you need.
3. Click Ok. A dialog pops out to remind you the number of missing data, close it. Then all missing numbers have been added or highlighted in the column or beside the column.
|Add missing numbers||Find the missing rows|
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!