How to find the position of the first lowercase letter from text strings?
If you have a list of text strings which contain both uppercase and lowercase letters, now, you want to know the position of first lowercase letter from them in Excel worksheet. How could you get the result quickly without counting them one by one?
You can apply the following array formula to get the position of the first lowercase from the text strings, please do as this:
Enter this formula: =MATCH(1,IF(ABS(CODE(MID(A2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A2))),1))-109.5)<=12.5,1),0) into a blank cell where you want to get the result, and then press Ctrl + Shift +Enter keys together to get the first result, then drag the fill handle down to the cells you want to apply this formula, see screenshot:
You can also finish this task with the below User Defined Function, please do as this:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
Function Getlower(rin As Range) As Long Dim x As String, c As String, j As Long Findlower = 0 v = rin.Text L = Len(v) For j = 1 To L If Mid(v, j, 1) Like "[a-z]" Then Getlower = j Exit Function End If Next j End Function
3. Then save and close this code window, go back to the worksheet, and enter this formula: =getlower(A2). into a blank cell, and then drag the fill handle down to fill this formula, and the position of the first lowercase letter in each cell has been extracted, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!