How to combine the first initial and last name into one cell in Excel?
If there are two columns in a worksheet, one lists first names, the another one contains last names, how can you combine the initial of the first name and last name into one cell as below screenshot shown? In this tutorial, I introduce some tricks on handling this problem in Excel.
Here have two formulas can help you combine initial of first name and last name into one, choose one of them to use.
=CONCATENATE(LEFT(A1,1)," ", B1)
=LEFT(A1,1) & " " & B1
Type the formula into the cell you want to place the combined result, press Enter to get the combined name.
In the formula, it concatenate names with space, you can change " " to other delimiter as you need.
Combine first initial and last name with Kutools for Excel
If you have Kutools for Excel, you can use the Remove by Position utility to remove all characters except the initial from first name, then useCombine function to combine the first initial and last name.
1. Select the first names you want to use, click Kutools > Text > Remove by Position. (You had better have a copy of the data first.)
2. In the Remove by Position dialog, type 999 into Numbers textbox, check Specify checkbox, type 2 into the next textbox.
3. Click Ok, the first names will be removed but left the first initials. Select the first initial cells and last names, click Kutools > Merge & Split > Combine Rows, Columns or Cells without Losing Data.
4. In thepopping dialog, check Combine columns, then specify the options you need in next three sections.
5. Click Ok. Now the first initial and last names are combined into one cell.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.