How to find value with latest date in Excel?
Normally, it’s easy to find records with the latest date by sorting date column easily in Excel. However, in some situations, data is protected from being sorted, or sorting may destroy data or data structure. Therefore, how could you find value with the latest date without sorting? There are three solutions for you:
- Find value with the latest date by formula 1
- Find value with the latest date by formula 2
- Find value with the latest date with an amazing tool
In general, you can apply the MAX function to find out the latest date, and then apply the VLOOKUP function to look for the value in Excel easily.
For example, you need to find out the Amount occurring on the latest date, you can apply below formula:
Note: in above formula,
- B3:B26 is the date column, and MAX(B3:B26) will find out the latest date in the date column;
- B2:D26 is the whole table where you will find value;
- 3 means you will find value in the third column of the table.
This formula requires the date column is placed on the left hand of the amount column. And it will return only the first matched value no matter how many matched values exist.
If your date column is on the right side of amount column, the VLOOKUP function will return error values. In this situation, you can combine the INDEX, MATCH, and MAX functions to find value with the latest date in Excel.
Select a blank cell, enter below formula, and press the Enter key.
Note: In above formula,
- D3:D26 is the date column, MAX(D3:D26) will find the latest date in the date column, and MATCH(MAX(D3:D26),D3:D26,0) will figure out the row number of the latest date in the date column.
- C3:C26 is the amount column where you will find value.
This formula also can return only the first matched value no matter how many matched values exist.
If you want to find all matched values with the latest date no matter the date column is on the left or right hand, you can apply the Advanced Combine Rows feature of Kutools for Excel.
1. Select the range you will find values from, and click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows.
Tip: The Advanced Combine Rows feature will change original data. It’s recommended to copy your range to a new place, and then apply this feature to the new range.
2. In the Advanced Combine Rows dialog, please configure as follows:
(1) Click to select the Date column, and click the Primary Key;
(2) Click to select the Amount column, and click Combine > Comma;
(3) Specify calculations or combinations for other columns. In this case, I add counting calculation for the Name column with clicking Calculate > Count.
3. Click the Ok button.
Now you will see the rows are combined based on the date column. All amount values occurring on the same date are combined into one cell. See screenshot:
Note: If there are still multiple dates existing, you can select the date column, and click Date > Sort to get the latest date and corresponding values easily.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!