How to swap rows or columns in Excel?
Sometimes, when we use a worksheet, we need to swap the rows or the columns. For example, I want to exchange column A with column D, the first thing that came to my mind is to use copy and paste command. In fact, except the copy and paste, there are some other methods to solve this problem.
Swap rows / columns / cell contents of two ranges without losing cell formatting:
With Kutools for Excel’s Swap Ranges feature, you can swap two selected cell ranges as quickly as you can.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
Sub SwapTwoRange() 'Updateby20131113 Dim Rng1 As Range, Rng2 As Range Dim arr1 As Variant, arr2 As Variant xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set Rng1 = Application.Selection Set Rng1 = Application.InputBox("Range1:", xTitleId, Rng1.Address, Type:=8) Set Rng2 = Application.InputBox("Range2:", xTitleId, Type:=8) Application.ScreenUpdating = False arr1 = Rng1.Value arr2 = Rng2.Value Rng1.Value = arr2 Rng2.Value = arr1 Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Then click button to run the code, a dialog is popped out for you to select the two ranges you want to swap with, see screenshots:
4. After clicking Ok, the two ranges are swapped. See screenshots:
The code may be are difficult for starters of Excel, is there a simple way to do it quickly and time-saving. Of course, Kutools for Excel can help you swap rows or columns quickly and comfortably.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, you can swap two columns or rows quickly.
1. Click Kutools > Range > Swap ranges，see screenshot:
2. In the Swap Ranges dialog box, click button from Swap Range 1 to select column A that you want to swap, and then click button from Swap Range 2 to select column D.( Note: The ranges for swapping must be identical in the same size.)
3. Then click OK. The two columns have been swapped and the cell formatting is swapped as well. See screenshots:
With this Swap Ranges utility, you are not only can swap rows or columns but also can swap contents of two ranges. Click here to know more about this feature.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoOkk is there any way we can create a MACRO for it to do it fast bcz it won't be possible everytime to copy that code from somewhere and put it out there to Swap that Rows and Columns .
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThis has greatly helped. Thank you [http://cbps.uonbi.acke]For all science queries[/url]
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoor you can just hold the shift key and drag the column where you want it to go
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI've tried the VBA code solution.
It seemed to work fine until now.
In the range i swap, there is a URL cell (i.e. hyperlink). Although the swap looks ok, the hyperlinks are not updated. It still points to the URL of the original range.
Is there any code patch to handle this?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoLearn how to spell. Ridiculous. Emial. Really?