How to swap contents between rows or columns in Excel?
Sometimes, when we use a worksheet, we need to swap the rows or the columns. For example, I want to exchange column A with column D, the first thing that came to my mind is to use copy and paste command. In fact, except the copy and paste, there are some other methods to solve this problem.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
Sub SwapTwoRange() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim Rng1 As Range, Rng2 As Range Dim arr1 As Variant, arr2 As Variant xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set Rng1 = Application.Selection Set Rng1 = Application.InputBox("Range1:", xTitleId, Rng1.Address, Type:=8) Set Rng2 = Application.InputBox("Range2:", xTitleId, Type:=8) Application.ScreenUpdating = False arr1 = Rng1.Value arr2 = Rng2.Value Rng1.Value = arr2 Rng2.Value = arr1 Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Then click button to run the code, a dialog is popped out for you to select the two ranges you want to swap with, see screenshots:
4. After clicking Ok, the two ranges are swapped. See screenshots:
The code may be are difficult for starters of Excel, is there a simple way to do it quickly and time-saving. Of course, Kutools for Excel can help you swap rows or columns quickly and comfortably.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, you can swap two columns or rows quickly.
1. Click Kutools > Range > Swap ranges，see screenshot:
2. In the Swap Ranges dialog box, click button from Swap Range 1 to select column A that you want to swap, and then click button from Swap Range 2 to select column D.( Note: The ranges for swapping must be identical in the same size.)
3. Then click OK. The two columns have been swapped and the cell formatting is swapped as well. See screenshots:
With this Swap Ranges utility, you are not only can swap rows or columns but also can swap contents of two ranges. Click here to know more about this feature.
Transpose data from rows to multiple columns quickly in Excel worksheet:
With Kutools for Excel’s Transform Range feature, you can quickly transpose the data from one row or column to multiple rows or columns and vice versa.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download and free trial Now!
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!