How to remove numeric characters from cells in Excel?
Says you have a worksheet contains lots of such information James987den, the data contain both alpha characters and numeric characters, and you want to keep the alpha characters and remove numeric characters for all such data. Such as, converting James987den to Jamesden. Are there any quick ways to deal with it?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
If you are familiar with the VBA code, you can use this method with the following steps:
1. Click Developer > Visual Basic or using shortcuts (ALT+F11) in Excel to activate Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window, and click Insert > Module.
2. Input the following code into the module:
Sub RemoveNum() 'Updateby20131129 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) For Each Rng In WorkRng xOut = "" For i = 1 To Len(Rng.Value) xTemp = Mid(Rng.Value, i, 1) If xTemp Like "[0-9.]" Then xStr = "" Else xStr = xTemp End If xOut = xOut & xStr Next i Rng.Value = xOut Next End Sub
4. Then click button to apply the code. Adialog is appeared on the screen, you can select a range to remove all numeric characters. see screenshot:
5. Click Ok all the numeric characters have been deleted.
Delete Characters tool of Kutools for Excel is a powerful tool to delete multiple types of characters.
Please apply this utility by clicking Kutools > Text Tools > Remove Characters, see screenshot:
Step 1. Select the range you want work with.
Step 2. Click Kutools > Text Tools > Remove Characters, and check Numeric, see screenshot:
Step 3. Click Ok or Apply to delete numeric characters in the ranges.
Note: With this tool, we can also delete other character types, such as Alpha characters, Non-numeric characters, Non-alpha characters and Non-printing characters. For more detailed information about Delete Characters, please visit here.