How to open containing folder of current workbook in Microsoft Excel?
Supposing you need to open some documents in the same document folder of current open workbook, you will need to go through the Window Explorer to find out the folder and open the documents. Can we just click a button in Excel to open the containing folder of current workbook? Yes, the following tricks will be helpful:
- Open Containing folder of current workbook with formula
- Open containing folder with VBA
- Open containing folder of current workbook with Kutools for Excel
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel/Office
If we can get the saving path of current workbook, it will be easy to open its containing folder. Actually, we can get the saving path of current workbook with a formula easily.
Step 1: Select a blank cell, and enter =LEFT(CELL("filename"),FIND("[",CELL("filename"),1)-1), then you will get current workbook's saving path. See screen shot:
Step 2: Copy the saving path from the cell;
Step 3: In Window explorer, paste the saving path in address field at the top, and press Enter key. Then it opens the containing folder of current workbook.
1. Click Alt+F11 to open a Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and past the follow VBA code into the Module window.
3. Click Run to running the VBA code.
The VBA code on opening containing folder:
Kutools for Excel's Open Containing Folder tool will ease your work and open containing folder of current workbook quickly.
After clicking the Enterprise > Workbook Tools > Open Containing Folder, it opens current workbook's containing folder. What's more, current workbook is selected in the document folder.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...