How to create/make backup files/copies of workbooks in Excel?
Supposing you make several wrong operations in a big workbook, of course you can restore the workbook by pressing Undo button. But pressing Undo button for dozens of times seems not a good way. This article introduces some tricks to make backup versions of active workbook, so that you can restore it conveniently and quickly.
- Make backup file of active workbook with Excel's AutoRecover command
- Make backup file of active workbook with Kutools for Excel
By default, Microsoft Excel will automatically backup active workbook, so you can restore active workbook with AutoRecover files.
- Step 1: Click File in Excel 2010/2013 or Office button in Excel 2007, and Option button;
- Step 2: In Excel Option dialog box, scroll down to Save workbooks section in Save category.
- Step 3: Modify the AutoRecover settings according to your need.
You will find out AutoRecover versions of active workbook in the location folder, and restore active workbook with these versions.
1. It will back up active workbook every N minutes according to your settings.
2. You can only restore to the last backup version, because all former versions are replace with latest version.
Kutools for Excel's Tack snap tool can help you make backup versions of active workbook as snapshots.
Just click the Kutools > Snap, it will back up a version of active workbook immediately. See screenshot:
If you have made backup versions of active workbook, you will view the backup versions list by clicking Snap. See screenshot:
Click one of backup versions, the active workbook will restore to the status when you make this backup version.
1. Users could not use this utility if they have never saved the current workbook.
2. You can make backup versions at any time, and make multiple backup versions.
3. All backup versions of active workbook will be clear if you close the active workbook.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!