How to shade the area under a normal curve in an Excel chart?
As shown in the screenshot below, this tutorial is going to explain how to shade the area under a normal curve in an Excel chart with two methods.
Suppose you want to create a line chart based on the monthly sales below and shade the area under the line in the chart. Please do as follows.
1. Create a helper column that references the original data to represent the shaded area.
2. Select the whole range, click Insert > Insert Line or Area Chart > Line with Marker (or the line chart you need).
Tips: If you have already created a line chart based on the original data, please skip this step and jump to the Note.
Note: If you have already created a line chart for the original data (see the following screenshot) and only want to shade the area under the line. After creating the helper column in step 1, you need to do as follows.
3. Right click on the line in the chart and select Change Series Chart Type in the right-clicking menu.
4. In the Change Chart Type dialog box, change the chart type of the helper series to “Stacked Area” and click OK to save the changes.
The chart is now displayed as follows. You can see that the area under the line is filled with orange.
5. Right click the shaded area and click Format Data Series in the context menu.
6. In the opening Format Data Series pane, you need to configure as follows.
7. Remove the legend and change the chart title as you need. Then the chart is now completed.
After applying the above method, when you delete or hide the helper column, the shaded area will be removed from the chart. Here, we introduce to you the Smooth Area Chart utility of Kutools for Excel. With this utility, you can easily create a line chart with shaded area under the line without creating a helper column.
1. Select the whole monthly sales table, click Kutools > Charts > Difference Comparison > Smooth Area Chart. See screenshot:
2. In the Smooth Area Chart dialog box, you can see that the fields are automatically filled with corresponding cell references, click the OK button directly.
3. Then a Kutools for Excel dialog box pops up to remind you that the chart will be static, click the Yes button.
Then a chart with smooth line angles and fill color under the line is created. Please see the screenshot below.
Note: If you want to change the fill color under the line in the chart, view the steps above.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)