How to create slicers as an alternative to dependent drop-down lists in Excel?
Usually, we create multi-level dependent drop-down lists to see all corresponding items from a dataset. As shown in the gif below, all choices in the sub drop-down lists depend on the item selected in the primary drop-down list. However, the approach to achieve this task is multi-steps and time-consuming. Here, in this tutorial, we will describe how to use “slicers” as an alternative to dependent drop-down lists in Excel.
Create slicers as an alternative to dependent drop-down lists in Excel
Please do as follows to create slicers as an alternative to dependent drop-down lists in Excel.
1. Make sure that your data range is Table format.
Tips: If the data range is not Table format, you need to convert it to Table.
1) Select the whole data range and press Ctrl + T keys.
2) In the opening Create Table dialog box, you can see the address of the selected range is listed in the textbox. If the range you selected has headers, please check the My table has header box and click the OK button.
2. Click on any cell in the table, then click Design (under the Table Tools tab) > Insert Slicer.
3. In the Insert Slicers dialog box, all headers of the table are listed. You need to check which columns you would like to display, and then click the OK button. In my case, I check all the columns.
Then, it inserts 5 slicers (the number of slicers inserted depends on how many headers you selected in step 3) into the current worksheet.
4. Now you need to manually place the slicers side by side and adjust the sizes to your needs. See screenshot:
5. When picking any item in the primary slicer, the corresponding items in the sub slicers will be highlighted immediately.
Note: You can see in the screenshot above that all items that are not part of the item selected by the primary slicer are still displayed in the sub slicer. To hide these invalid items, you can do as follows:
1) Right click the slicer where you want to hide the invalid items and select Slicer Setting in the context menu.
2) In the popping up Slicer Settings dialog box, check the Hide items with no data box in the Item Sorting and Filtering section, and then click the OK button.
3) Repeat the above step 1 and 2 to hide invalid items in all sub slicers you need.
From now on, when selecting an item in the primary slicer, only corresponding items based on this selection will be displayed in the sub slicers. See screenshot:
1) You can select multiple items in the slicer by enabling the Multi-Select options and then selecting the items one by one.
2) You can clear the current selection by clicking the Clear Filter button in the upper right corner of the slicer.
3) In fact, there is no master-slave relationship between the slicers. You can select items in any of the slicers to display the corresponding items for a dataset.
4) After selecting items in the slicers, the original data will also be filtered.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!