How to create slicers as an alternative to dependent drop-down lists in Excel?
Usually, we create multi-level dependent drop-down lists to see all corresponding items from a dataset. As shown in the gif below, all choices in the sub drop-down lists depend on the item selected in the primary drop-down list. However, the approach to achieve this task is multi-steps and time-consuming. Here, in this tutorial, we will describe how to use “slicers” as an alternative to dependent drop-down lists in Excel.
Create slicers as an alternative to dependent drop-down lists in Excel
Please do as follows to create slicers as an alternative to dependent drop-down lists in Excel.
1. Make sure that your data range is Table format.
Tips: If the data range is not Table format, you need to convert it to Table.
2. Click on any cell in the table, then click Design (under the Table Tools tab) > Insert Slicer.
3. In the Insert Slicers dialog box, all headers of the table are listed. You need to check which columns you would like to display, and then click the OK button. In my case, I check all the columns.
Then, it inserts 5 slicers (the number of slicers inserted depends on how many headers you selected in step 3) into the current worksheet.
4. Now you need to manually place the slicers side by side and adjust the sizes to your needs. See screenshot:
5. When picking any item in the primary slicer, the corresponding items in the sub slicers will be highlighted immediately.
Note: You can see in the screenshot above that all items that are not part of the item selected by the primary slicer are still displayed in the sub slicer. To hide these invalid items, you can do as follows:
From now on, when selecting an item in the primary slicer, only corresponding items based on this selection will be displayed in the sub slicers. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!