How to check if a file exists in a folder then delete it in Excel?
In this tutorial, you will learn a VBA script to check if a certain file exists in a specified folder, if it does, then delete it from the folder in Excel.
The following VBA script helps to check if a certain file exists in a folder and delete it if it exists. Please do as follows.
1. In an open Excel workbook, press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module, then copy the following VBA script into the Module (Code) window.
VBA code: Check if a file exists in a specified folder then delete it
Sub CheckFileThenDelete() 'Updated by Extendoffice 20221024 Dim FilePath As String FilePath = "C:\Users\Win10x64Test\Desktop\save attachments\aaa.xlsx" If Dir(FilePath) <> "" Then MsgBox "The file exists in the folder, click the OK button to delete it.", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" Kill FilePath Else If Dir(FilePath) = "" Then MsgBox "The file does not exist.", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" End If End If End Sub
Note: In the VBA code, C:\Users\Win10x64Test\Desktop\save attachments\aaa.xlsx is the path of the file you want to check if it exists. In this example, I want to check if an Excel file named “aaa” exists in a folder named “save attachments” on the desktop. You can change the file path and the file extension to meet your needs.
3. Press the F5 key to run the code.
4. If the file exists, you will get a Kutools for Excel dialog box as shown in the screenshot below. Click the OK button to remove this file from the folder.
If the file does not exist in the folder, another Kutools for Excel dialog box will also pop up to alert you.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!