How to convert flat list to 2-dimentional cross table in Excel?
Is it possible to convert a one-dimensional list to two-dimensional cross table in Excel? Sometimes you may input or import data as lists in Excel. However, table will be more readable. And here we will show you one tricky method to convert flat list to two-dimensional cross table in Microsoft Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Let's say you have a large list of roster, and you need to convert it to a cross table. See the following screenshots:
Tables and lists are integral parts of Microsoft Excel. Nevertheless, it is impossible to convert between plat list and two-dimensional tables with Microsoft Excel's commons except VBA macros. For most starter users of Microsoft Excel, VBA macros may be hard to use. So here we try a third-party add-in named Kutools for Excel.
With Kutools for Excel installed, you can easily and quickly convert cross table to list table.
Step 1: Select the list that you will work with, or you can select the range by clicking source range button in the Transpose Table Dimensions dialog.
Step 2: Click the Kutools > Range Converter >Transpose Table Dimensions….
Step 3: In Transpose Table Dimensions dialog box, check the List to cross table option, and specify Results range button . If your list has headers, please check My data has headers, see screenshot:.
Step 4: Click OK.
Then the selected list will be converted to a two-dimensional table, and outputted in the results range you specified in Step 3.
Note: the list you will convert must contains three columns, the first column will be converted as the row headings of new two-dimensional cross table, and the second column will be converted as column headings.
For more detailed information about Transpose Table Dimensions, please visit Transpose Table Dimensions feature description.