How to select every nth column in Excel?
For example, you have a large worksheet with hundreds of columns of data. And now, you need to copy every 3rd column data and paste them to another new worksheet. It will be time-consuming to select every nth column one by one, and is there any easy way to do it?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
It seems no simple way except VBA code to solve this problem. Please do as the following steps:
1. Highlight the range that you want to select every nth column.
2.Click Developer > Visual Basic or press Alt+F11, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module to input the following code into the Module:
Sub EveryOtherColumn() 'Updateby20140314 Dim rng As Range Dim InputRng As Range Dim OutRng As Range Dim xInterval As Integer xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set InputRng = Application.Selection Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8) xInterval = Application.InputBox("Enter column interval", xTitleId, Type:=1) For i = 1 To InputRng.Columns.Count Step xInterval + 1 Set rng = InputRng.Cells(1, i) If OutRng Is Nothing Then Set OutRng = rng Else Set OutRng = Application.Union(OutRng, rng) End If Next OutRng.EntireColumn.Select End Sub
3. Then click button to run the code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you to select a range to work with. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, and then enter the number of intervals in the another pop out dialog. In this case, enter 3 in the box. See screenshot:
5. Click OK. Now it selects every 3rd column in the selection. See screenshot:
Note: You can specify the number in the second KutoolsforExcel dialog to meet your need.
But sometimes, you need to select two columns with two intervals. The above code can not work, how should you do?
With Kutools for Excel, you can select specific number of columns at specific intervals. Please do as the following steps:
1.Click Kutools > Select Tools > Select Interval Rows/Columns,see screenshot:
2. A Select Interval Rows/Columns dialog box will appear. Then click button to select the range you need, choose Columns from Select section, and specify the number you want in the Interval of and Columns dropdown list, here we select two columns in every 3td columns. See screenshot:
3.Click OK. It will select two columns with two intervals in the selection. See screenshot:
Note: If you check Select entire columns in the popup dialog, it will select the entire columns in the sheet. See screenshot:
- Select every other or nth row in Excel
- Copy every other row
- Delete every other row
- Hide every other row