Change cell reference in formulas to range names in Excel
As we know, the cell reference in the formula will change to their defined names automatically, if we have defined names for the cell reference before. However, the cell reference will not change to their defined names, if we create formulas for the cell reference before defining names. How to replace the cell reference with their defined names in the formulas quickly? You can do it with following steps:
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Step 1: Go to the Defined Names group under Formulas Tab.
Step 2: Click the arrow button besides Define Name button, and select the Apply Names item from the drop down list.
Step 3: In the Apply Names dialog box, select the range names that you will apply to formulas, and click OK button.
Then you will see corresponding cell references in formulas are changed to its defined names, such as the following table shows:
|Formulas with Cell Reference||
Formulas with Names
Note: you can select multiple names in the Apply Names dialog box. The selected names will take place of corresponding cell reference in any formulas that with them.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 7 years agoThe apply names function only changes the cell references to names in the sheet where the name is defined and does not make the change in the rest of the sheets within the workbook. Please suggest a solution.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 7 years agoThis seems not to work: I get an error saying Microstoft Excel cannot find any referneces to replace