How to remove year from date in Excel?
Supposing you have a worksheet with all the company employees’ birthday information in it, and you want to remove the year from birthday information for keeping the privacy of employees. How do you easily remove the year from the date?
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
There are some formulas for you to remove year from date, such as Text function, Concatenate function, you can apply the formulas as following steps:
1. In the adjacent blank cell, type this formula: =TEXT(B2,"mm/dd"), see screenshot:
2. Then tap the Enter key, and select the cell C2, then drag the fill handle over the range of cells that you want to contain this formula. And the year has been removed from the date, see screenshot:
Tip: Except the above Text formula, here are other formulas you can use, such as =CONCATENATE(MONTH(B2),"-",DAY(B2)) and =MONTH(B2)&"-"&DAY(B2). If you apply these formulas, you will get the following result:
Note: As they are formulas, you need to paste them as values when you copy them.
If you don’t want to remember formula, Kutools for Excel's Apply Date Formatting utility can help you solve this problem.
1. Select the date range you want to delete the year, then click Kutools > Format > Apply Date Formatting, see screenshot:
2. In the Apply Date Formatting dialog box, select one date format type which just contains day and month such as 3/14 or 14/3, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
You can see the date formats have been changed to month and day only.
If you want to have a free trial of this utility, please go to free download the software first, and then go to apply the operation according above steps.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
- How to remove time from date in Excel?
- How to change multiple dates to day of week in excel?
- Convert date to weekday name or month name in Excel?
- How to change American date format in Excel 2007/2010?
Recommended Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoexcellent stuff, great work
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoI want not only it to show only MM-DD but I don't want the year at all as I am sorting this data. I can format as MM-DD but only want that. excel is automatically inserting the current date year( even though it is not shown). which is confusing my sort. I will be adding new dates ongoing and do not want the year I added it in the sort.