How to filter cells by length of text in Excel?
Sometimes you may need to filter cells by length of text in Excel. For example, you need to filter text of 6 characters long. This article will show you the detailed steps about how to filter cells by given text length (the number of characters).
You can filter cells by given text length (the number of characters) with Text Filter’s Custom Filter function. Please process as follows:
Step 1: Select the Column B, and click the Filter button under Data tab.
Step 2: Click the Filter Arrow , and move mouse over the Text Filters item, and choose the Custom Filter item. See the following screen shot:
Step 3: In the popping up Custom AutoFilter dialog box, specify the criteria as Equals, and enter 6 question marks to indicate the length.
If you want to filter cells which contain 6 characters in their contents, please enter 6 question marks (?) in as following screenshot.
Step 4: Click OK.
Then it filters cells with 6 characters in Column B.
Quickly filter cells by text length in Excel:
Sometime you may want to filter text of many characters long, it is not convenient to type exact number of question marks. So it goes another tip: count the characters of text firstly, and then filter.
Step 1: In a help column, says Column D, enter the formula of =LEN(B2).
The Len function will count the characters in specific cell, and returns the characters length.
Step 2: Select the Column D, click the Home >> Fill >> Down to copy this formula to the entire column.
Step 3: Select the Column D, and click the Filter button under Data tab.
Step 4: Click the Filter Arrow , uncheck the Select All item, check the corresponding number of characters, says 6, and click OK.
Now it filters the Number 6 in the Column B, and shows the cells in Column B with only 6 characters long. See the following screen shot:
This section will introduce the Special Filter utility of Kutools for Excel to help you easily filter cells by text length in Excel. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Click Kutools Plus > Special Filter to enable the feature. See screenshot:
2. In the Special Filter dialog box, please configure as follows:
- 2.1) In the Range box, select the column you will filter the data by length;
- 2.2) In the Filter rules section, keep the Text option selected, choose Text length equal to option from the drop-down, and then enter the length of characters into the textbox;
- 2.3) Click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. A dialog pops up to tell you how many cells are found, please click OK to close it.
Then cells with specified text length are filtered immediately.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!