How to insert a radio button or option button in Excel?
Sometimes you may see a group of predefined options with circle holes allowing you to choose one of them, and the choice is exclusive. They are radio buttons or option buttons. It is quite useful with them to select one of a series of size as Small, Medium, and Large, or a series of color as Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, …etc.
Normally we can only insert one checkbox or option button in a cell at a time with tedious steps in Excel. But Kutools for Excel’s Batch Insert Check Boxes utility and Batch Insert Option Buttons utility can help Excel users quickly insert multiple checkboxes or option buttons into all selected cells. See screenshot:
Recommended Productivity ToolsOffice Tab: Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 200 new features for Excel, make Excel much easy and powerful, increase productivity immediately.
1. Go to the Controls group under Developer tab.
Note: If you can't view the Developer tab in ribbon, please do as follows:
- In Excel 2010 or higher versions, please click the File > Options > Customize Ribbon, and then check the Developer option in the right side.
- In Excel 2007, please click the Office button > Excel Options > Popular, and then check the Show Developer tab in the Ribbon option in the Top options for working with Excel section.
2. Click the Insert button, and select the Option Button, see the following screen shot:
3. Move mouse on working area, and draw a radio button. Repeat the Step 2 and Step 3, and insert as many radio buttons as you need.
4. Right click one of Option Buttons, and click the Edit Text item from context menu.
5. Then the text above selected option button is editable, type a new name for the selected radio button. And rename other radio buttons based on your needs.
6. After renaming the option buttons, you can also format them as you want. Right click one of radio buttons, and click the Format Control item from the context menu, see screenshot below:
7. In the Format Control dialog box, change the formatting styles of each radio button. See screenshot above:
If you want to insert multiple radio buttons to a range of cells, the above method will be somewhat troublesome. If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Batch Insert Option Button feature, you can quickly insert the options buttons to a range of blank cells or cells with data.
Kutools for Excel - Combines More Than 120 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
Select a range of cells that you want to insert the option buttons, and click Kutools > Insert > Batch Insert Option Buttons. And then your selected range have been filled with the option buttons at once as following screenshots shown:
To know more about this Batch Insert Option buttons utility, please have a free trial!
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...