How to quickly hide cell contents in Excel?
When we operate a worksheet, sometimes there are some important data which you don't want others to see. In this case, you may need to set some cell contents to be invisible. Please apply the following steps to hide cell contents in Excel.
For showing values in cells but hiding the values or formula references in the Formula bar as below screenshot shown, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Formula Hide utility to format specified cells as hidden, and then protect current worksheet.
Recommended Productivity Tools
1. Select the range cells that you want to hide the cell values.
2. Then click Home > Format > Format Cells…, see screenshot:
3. And a Format Cells dialog box will display, click Number on the top ribbon, and then click Custom in the Category list, in the Type box, please enter ";;;" (three semicolons). See screenshot:
4. Then click OK. And the cell contents you selected have been hidden.
Notes: 1.The selected cells appear blank on the worksheet, but a value appears in the formula bar if you click one of the cells.
2. The hidden cell values can be removed when you select and delete them. And they are also can be changed.
If you want to display the hidden values, click General in the Category list to apply the default number format.
You may notice that even you have hidden the cell content, but the cell content will display in the formula bar when you click these cells. But some users may want to prevent others from viewing the cell contents from both cells and formula bars, how to get it done? The following method will solve this problem easily.
In addition to hide cell content and displaying noting in the selected cell, we can also hide the cell contents and display randomly strings with Kutools for Excel’s Encrypt Cells utility.
Kutools for Excel - Combines More Than 120 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
1. Select the cells whose contents you will hide, and click Enterprise > Encrypt Cells.
2. In the popping up Encrypt Cells dialog box, type password in both Password box and Confirm box, and then click the Ok button.
Then you will see all cell contents in the selected range are replaced by random strings. See screen shot below:
(1) When clicking the cells with hidden cell contents, you will not view the cell contents in the formula bar too.
(2) You can restore the hidden cell contents with selecting these cells, clicking Enterprise > Decrypt Cells, and entering your specified password.
Kutools for Excel provides many handy utilities for Excel users to quickly toggle hidden sheet tabs, hide sheet tabs, or display hidden sheet tabs in Excel.
(1) Kutools > Worksheets: One click to toggle all hidden sheet tabs to be visible or invisible in Excel;
(2) Kutools > Show / Hide > Hide Unselected Sheets: One click to hide all sheet tabs except active one (or selected ones) in Excel;
(3) Kutools > Show / Hide > Unhide All Sheets: One click to display all hidden sheet tabs in Excel.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...