How to quickly hide cell contents in Excel?
When we operate a worksheet, sometimes there are some important data which you don't want others to see. In this case, you may need to set some cell contents to be invisible. Please apply the following steps to hide cell contents in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
1. Select the range cells that you want to hide the cell values.
2. Then click Home > Format > Format Cells…, see screenshot:
3. And a Format Cells dialog box will display, click Number on the top ribbon, and then click Custom in the Category list, in the Type box, please enter ";;;" (three semicolons). See screenshot:
4. Then click OK. And the cell contents you selected have been hidden.
Notes: 1.The selected cells appear blank on the worksheet, but a value appears in the formula bar if you click one of the cells.
2. The hidden cell values can be removed when you select and delete them. And they are also can be changed.
If you want to display the hidden values, click General in the Category list to apply the default number format.
You may notice that even you have hidden the cell content, but the cell content will display in the formula bar when you click these cells. But some users may want to prevent others from viewing the cell contents from both cells and formula bars, how to get it done? The following method will solve this problem easily.
In addition to hide cell content and displaying noting in the selected cell, we can also hide the cell contents and display randomly strings with Kutools for Excel’s Encrypt Cells utility.
1. Select the cells whose contents you will hide, and click Enterprise > Encrypt Cells.
2. In the popping up Encrypt Cells dialog box, type password in both Password box and Confirm box, and then click the Ok button.
Then you will see all cell contents in the selected range are replaced by random strings. See screen shot below:
(1) When clicking the cells with hidden cell contents, you will not view the cell contents in the formula bar too.
(2) You can restore the hidden cell contents with selecting these cells, clicking Enterprise > Decrypt Cells, and entering your specified password.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoHow do I hide some of the content in the cell. For example, if I type in 123456, it will show up in the next cell (I don't want it to do that). Is there a way to cut the text, once it reaches the line for the next column?