How to quickly hide cell contents in Excel?
When we operate a worksheet, sometimes there are some important data which you don't want others to see. In this case, you may need to set some cell contents to be invisible. Please apply the following steps to hide cell contents in Excel.
Hide cell contents with Cell Format feature
Hide cell contents by random strings
Easily hide cell content/values/formulas in the Formula bar in Excel
For showing values in cells but hiding the values or formula references in the Formula bar as below screenshot shown, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Formula Hide utility to format specified cells as hidden, and then protect current worksheet.
Full Feature Free Trial 60-day!
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save
70% of your time and solve
80% Excel problems for you.
300+ advanced features designed for
1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
1. Select the range cells that you want to hide the cell values.
2. Then click Home > Format > Format Cells…, see screenshot:
3. And a Format Cells dialog box will display, click Number on the top ribbon, and then click Custom in the Category list, in the Type box, please enter ";;;" (three semicolons). See screenshot:
4. Then click OK. And the cell contents you selected have been hidden.
Notes: 1.The selected cells appear blank on the worksheet, but a value appears in the formula bar if you click one of the cells.
2. The hidden cell values can be removed when you select and delete them. And they are also can be changed.
If you want to display the hidden values, click General in the Category list to apply the default number format.
You may notice that even you have hidden the cell content, but the cell content will display in the formula bar when you click these cells. But some users may want to prevent others from viewing the cell contents from both cells and formula bars, how to get it done? The following method will solve this problem easily.
In addition to hide cell content and displaying noting in the selected cell, we can also hide the cell contents and display randomly strings with Kutools for Excel’s Encrypt Cells utility.
Kutools for Excel - Combines more than 300 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
1. Select the cells whose contents you will hide, and click Enterprise > Encrypt Cells.
2. In the popping up Encrypt Cells dialog box, type password in both Password box and Confirm box, and then click the Ok button.
Then you will see all cell contents in the selected range are replaced by random strings. See screen shot below:
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Full feature free trial 60-day, no credit card required! Get it now!
(1) When clicking the cells with hidden cell contents, you will not view the cell contents in the formula bar too.
(2) You can restore the hidden cell contents with selecting these cells, clicking Enterprise > Decrypt Cells, and entering your specified password.
In this Video, the Kutools tab and the Kutools Plus tab are added by Kutools for Excel. If need it, please click here to have a 60-day free trial without limitation!
One click to hide/unhide one or multiple sheet tabs in Excel
Kutools for Excel provides many handy utilities for Excel users to quickly toggle hidden sheet tabs, hide sheet tabs, or display hidden sheet tabs in Excel.
Full Feature Free Trial 60-day!
(1) Kutools > Worksheets: One click to toggle all hidden sheet tabs to be visible or invisible in Excel;
(2) Kutools > Show / Hide > Hide Unselected Sheets: One click to hide all sheet tabs except active one (or selected ones) in Excel;
(3) Kutools > Show / Hide > Unhide All Sheets: One click to display all hidden sheet tabs in Excel.
Excel Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools For Excel brings
300+ cool and powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) for
1500+ work scenarios, helps you solve
80% Excel problems.
- Deal with all complicated tasks in seconds, help to enhance your work ability, get success from the fierce competition, and never worry about being fired.
- Save a lot of work time, leave much time for you to love and care the family and enjoy a comfortable life now.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands, and give you a healthy body.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes, and get admiring glance from your colleagues or friends.
- No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes, have a relaxing and pleasant mind, give you a thrill you've never had before.
- Spend only $39, but worth than $4000 training of others. Being used by 110,000 elites and 300+ well-known companies.
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years. Buy once, use forever.
- Change the way you work now, and give you a better life immediately!
- Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Open and create documents in new tabs of same window, rather than in new windows.
- Help you work faster and easily stand out from the crowd! One second to switch between dozens of open documents!