How to limit cell entry to numeric value or a list in Excel?
Sometimes you design a workbook, and you want to control what people can enter in worksheet. For example, you can limit cell entry to a range of numeric value or a specific list. This article will show you the ways to limit cell value entries in Excel quickly.
Kutools for Excel provides a quite easy way to protect or lock specified cells from editing in Excel: unlock the whole worksheet by Selection Unlock button, next lock the specified cells you will lock from editing by Selection Lock button, at last protect current worksheet. Click for detailed steps.
Recommended Productivity ToolsOffice Tab: Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 200 new features for Excel, make Excel much easy and powerful, increase productivity immediately.
You can set numeric value entries with specific limitation with following steps:
1. Select the range that you will set the numeric value entries, and click the Data > Data Validation. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Data Validation dialog box, go to the Setting tab, and:
(1) Select the Whole number item from the Allow drop down box. See the first screenshot below:
(2) Select one item from the Data drop down box according to your needs. See the second screenshot above:
(3) Input specific numbers for limitation in Maximum/Minimum/Length box according to your needs.
3. Click OK button.
This method is only able to set limitation for numeric values entered in cells. And the following method will guide you to set limitation for text entries.
You can set limitation for text entries with following steps:
1. Preset all texts that other users can enter in cells, saying preset a list of name in A2:A10 as following screen shot show:
2. Select the range that you will set limitation for text entries in cells, and click the Data > Data Validation.
3. In the Data Validation dialog box, go to the Setting tab, and:
(1) Select the List item from the Allow drop down list;
(2) Check the In-cell dropdown option;
(3) Specify the preset source. In this case, it is the name list in A2:A10.
4. Click the OK button.
Then select one cell in the range with text entries limitation, it adds an arrow besides the active cell. Click the arrow , it shows a drop down list with preset name list. You can select one name to fill active cell easily. See screenshot below:
Sometimes, you may be required to enter unique values in a column or a list. You can get it done with only one click by Kutools for Excel’s Prevent Duplicates utility.
Kutools for Excel - Combines More Than 120 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
Select the column or list that you will limit entering duplicates, and then click Kutools > Prevent Duplicates.
From now on, when duplicate entries occur in the specified column or list, it will warn you with below screen shot:
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...