How to schedule recurring appointment on first business day of every month in Outlook?
For example, you want to create a recurring appointment that occurs on the first business day of every month including weekends and holidays, how could you get it done in Outlook? There is no direct method to schedule this kind of recurring appointment in Outlook, however I will introduce a trick in a round-about way:
Outlook can only schedule a recurring appointment which repeats regularly, such as 1st Monday of every month, the Monday of every weekly, or every weekday, etc. obviously, the first business day of every month doesn’t repeat regularly. Therefore, this method will guide you to figure out these irregular dates in Excel, and then import them into Outlook calendar.
Part 1: Type in recurring appointment data in Excel
1. Launch Microsoft Excel, type in column headers as below screenshot shown:
2. Please type in holiday data in Column A:C as below screenshot shown:
In my example, I type in holiday names in the Holiday column, type in holiday notes in the When column, and then type holiday dates in 2017 column (2017 is the specified year I will schedule the recurring appointment in).
Note: Click to know how to figure out all holidays with formulas in Excel.
3. Enter from 1 to 12 into the Month column.
4. Go to the 1st Business Date column, type =WORKDAY(DATE($C$1,E2,1)-1,1,$C$2:$C$11) into Cell G2, and then drag this cell’s AutoFill handle down to Range G2:G13.
Note: In the formula, C1 is the year you will calculate the first business day within, E2 is the first month of the specified year, C2:C11 is the range containing holidays in the specified year.
5. Please type in data in the Subject, Start time, and End time columns as you need.
So far you have prepared data for the recurring appointment in Excel as below screenshot shown:
Part 2: Save the recurring appointment data as CSV file
6. Click File > Save As to save the workbook as CSV file.
7. In the opening Save As dialog box, please (1) specify the destination folder you will save the CSV file into, (2) type a name for the CSV file in the File name box, (3) select CSV (Comma delimited) from the Save as type drop down list, and finally (4) click the Save button. See screenshot:
Note: If dialog box pops out to warn you some features will be lost if saving as CSV file, please click the Yes button. So far the workbook has been saved as CSV file already.
Part 3: Import the CSV file into Outlook calendar
8. Launch Outlook, and click File > Open & Export (or Open) > Import/Export (or Import).
9. In the opening Import and Export Wizard, please select the Import from another program or file option, and click the Next button. See screenshot:
10. In the popping out Import a File dialog box, please click the Comma Separated Values option, and click the Next button.
11. In the second Import a File dialog box, please check the Do not import duplicate items option, and then click the Browse button.
12. Now the Browse dialog box comes out. Please (1) open the folder containing the CSV file you created in Part 2, (2) select the CSV file, and (3) click the OK button.
13. Now you return to the Import a File dialog box, please click the Next button.
14. And in the new Import a File dialog box, please select the Calendar folder you will add the recurring appointment on first business day into, and click the Next button.
15. Now the last Import a File dialog box, please check the Import “recurring on 1st business day of every month”.
16. In the popping out Map Custom Fields dialog box, please click the Clear Map button firstly, and then drag values from left box to matched fields in the right box, and click the OK > Finish button.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.