How to sort a list of column by character length in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of strings which have different characters, and you need to sort this data in the column by character length as following screenshots shown. Do you have some simple ways to accomplish it?
There is no direct function to sort a list of column by character length, so you need to use a help column to count the number of the strings first, then sort them.
1. Beside the value column, enter this =LEN(A1) formula in a blank cell B1, see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key and you will get the number of the text string, then select cell B1 and drag the fill handle to the range that you want to contain this formula.
3. All the number of strings in Column A have been extracted in Column B, and then you can sort this range in Column B by clicking Data > Sort, see screenshot:
4. In the Sort Warning prompt box, check Expand the selection option, and then click Sort button.
5. And then in the Sort dialog box, select Column B that you want to sort by, and choose the type that you need to sort on, at last choose the sort order, here we select Values in the Sort On drop-down list and Smallest to Largest in Order drop-down list. See screenshot:
6. Then click OK, and the strings have been sorted by the character length. You can delete the Column B as you need. See screenshot:
With the above method you need to create a help column fist which is a little troublesome for you. But using the Advanced Sort feature in Kutools for Excel you can sort the list by character length at once.
Step 1. Select the list you want to sort by the character length, and click Enterprise > Advanced Sort. See screenshot:
Step 2. Then the Advanced Sort dialog display on the screen, select the column your list in, and choose Text length from the Sort On drop down list, and specify the Order you need. (If your selected list has header, check My data has headers box.) See screenshot:
Step 3. Click Ok, you can see the list has been sort on character length as below:
If you choose Z to A in the Order in step 2, the result is shown as below:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!