How to count / sum only positive or negative numbers in Excel?
Normally, it is easy for us to sum or count a range of data in a worksheet, but here, I want to count or sum positive or negative numbers only. Are there any effective ways for solving this problem?
Here, the COUNTIF function can help you quickly to count how many positive numbers or negative numbers in a range.
1. To count only the positive values, in a blank cell, please enter this formula =COUNTIF($A$1:$D$7,">0") into it, see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, and all of the positive numbers have been counted and the result is shown in the cell. See screenshot:
1. If you want to count the number of negative values only, please apply this formula =COUNTIF($A$1:$D$7,"<0").
2. And in the above formula, A1:D7 is the data range that you want to use.
In Excel, the SUMIF function can help you to add up only the positive values or negative values. You can apply this formula as this:
1. Type this formula =SUMIF($A$1:$D$7,">0") into a blank cell, see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, and just all of the positive numbers have been added up.
1. To sum all negative numbers only in a range, please use this formula =SUMIF($A$1:$D$7,"<0").
2. In the above formula, A1:D7 is the data range that you want to use.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!