How to extract first letter of each word from cell?
Supposing you have a list of countries’ name in your worksheet, and now, you need to extract the first letter of each word in the cell as following screenshots shown. Normally, there is no direct feature to pick up the first letter of each word in Excel. But, here, I can talk about a useful way to solve this task.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In Excel, you can create a User Defined Function to extract the first letters of every words in a cell. Please do as this:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.< /p>
Function GetFirstLetters(rng As Range) As String 'Update 20140325 Dim arr Dim I As Long arr = VBA.Split(rng, " ") If IsArray(arr) Then For I = LBound(arr) To UBound(arr) GetFirstLetters = GetFirstLetters & Left(arr(I), 1) Next I Else GetFirstLetters = Left(arr, 1) End If End Function
3. Then save and close this code, go back the worksheet, and enter this formula =GetFirstLetters(A2) (A2 indicates the cell which you want to extract the first letter, you can change it as you need) into a blank cell. See screenshot:
4. And then press Enter key, and select cell B2, then drag the fill handle to the cells that you want to apply this formula. And all the first letters have been extracted from the series of words, see screenshot: