How to extract first letter of each word from cell?
Supposing you have a list of countries’ name in your worksheet, and now, you need to extract the first letter of each word in the cell as following screenshots shown. Normally, there is no direct feature to pick up the first letter of each word in Excel. But, here, I can talk about a useful way to solve this task.
In Excel, you can create a User Defined Function to extract the first letters of every words in a cell. Please do as this:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.< /p>
Function GetFirstLetters(rng As Range) As String 'Update 20140325 Dim arr Dim I As Long arr = VBA.Split(rng, " ") If IsArray(arr) Then For I = LBound(arr) To UBound(arr) GetFirstLetters = GetFirstLetters & Left(arr(I), 1) Next I Else GetFirstLetters = Left(arr, 1) End If End Function
3. Then save and close this code, go back the worksheet, and enter this formula =GetFirstLetters(A2) (A2 indicates the cell which you want to extract the first letter, you can change it as you need) into a blank cell. See screenshot:
4. And then press Enter key, and select cell B2, then drag the fill handle to the cells that you want to apply this formula. And all the first letters have been extracted from the series of words, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!