How to sum values based on criteria in another column in Excel?
Sometimes you want to sum the values based on criteria in another column, for instance, here I only want to sum up the "Sale Volume" column where the corresponding "Product" column equals "A" as show as below, how can you do it? Of course, you can sum them one by one, but here I introduce some simple methods for you to sum the values in Excel.
In Excel, you can use formulas to quickly sum the values based on certain criteria in an adjacent column.
1. Copy the column you will sum based on, and then pasted into another column. In our case, we copy the Fruit column and paste in Column E. See screenshot left.
2. Keep the pasted column selected, click Data > Remove Duplicates. And in the popping up Remove Duplicates dialog box, please only check the pasted column, and click the OK button.
3. Now only unique values are remained in the pasted column. Select a blank cell besides the pasted column, type the formula =SUMIF($A$2:$A$24, D2, $B$2:$B$24) into it, and then drag its AutoFill Handle down the range as you need.
And then we have summed based on the specified column. See screenshot:
Note: In above formula , A2:A24 is the column whose values you will sum based on, D2 is one value in the pasted column, and B2:B24 is the column you will sum.
Besides using formula, you also can sum the values based on criteria in another column by inserting a Pivot table.
1. Select the range you need, and click Insert > PivotTable or Insert > PivotTable > PivotTable to open the Create PivotTable dialog box.
2. In the Create PivotTable dialog box, specify the destination rang you will place the new PivotTable at, and click the OK button.
3. Then in the PivotTable Fields pane, drag the criteria column name to the Rows section, drag the column you will sum and move to the Values section. See screenshot:
Then you can see the above pivot table , it has summed the Amount column based on each item in the criteria column. See screenshot above:
Sometimes, you may need to sum values based on criteria in another column, and then replace original data with the sum values directly. You can apply Kutools for Excel's Advanced Combine Rows utility.
1. Select the range that you will sum values based on criteria in another column, and click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows.
Please note that the range should contain both the column you will sum based on and the column you will sum.
2. In the opening Combine Rows Based on Column dialog box, you need to:
(1) Select the column name that you will sum based on, and then click the Primary Key button;
(2) Select the column name that you will sum, and then click the Calculate > Sum.
(3) Click the Ok button.
Now you will see the values in the specified column are summed based on the criteria in the other column. See screenshot above:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!