How to quickly add dashes to ssn in Excel?
Add dashes to SSN with formulas
Add dashes to SSN with Format Cells function
Add dashes to SSN with Kutools for Excel
To add dashes to the social security numbers, the following formulas can help you. Please do as this:
1. In a blank cell besides your numbers, type any of the following two formulas:
(A2 is the cell which has the number you want to add dashes into, you can change it for your need.)
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contain this formula, and the dashes have been inserted into the social security numbers. See screenshot:
In Excel, the Format Cells feature also can help you to solve this problem.
1. Select the cells which contain the social security numbers that you want to add dashes.
2. Right click and choose Format Cells from the context menu, see screenshot:
3. And in the Format Cells dialog box, under the Number tab, click Special from the Category pane, and then click Social Security Number under the Type list box.
4. Then click OK to close this dialog, and your numbers have been added the dashes in the original cell range at once.
Actually, if you have Kutools for Excel, you can apply its Add Text function to quickly add dashes to SSN.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. select the SSN cells, and click Kutools > Text > Add Text. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Add Text dialog, type dash - into the textbox below Text, and then check Specify option and type the position you want to add dash into the text box, if you need to add dashes to several positions, using comma to separate them. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok or Apply, then all SSN cells are add dashes in specific locations
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!