How to quickly add dashes to ssn in Excel?
Add dashes to SSN with formulas
Add dashes to SSN with Format Cells function
Add dashes to SSN with Kutools for Excel
Add Text (add character/word to a specific location of each cell in a range.)
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
To add dashes to the social security numbers, the following formulas can help you. Please do as this:
1. In a blank cell besides your numbers, type any of the following two formulas:
(A2 is the cell which has the number you want to add dashes into, you can change it for your need.)
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contain this formula, and the dashes have been inserted into the social security numbers. See screenshot:
|Never need to worry about long long formulas in Excel anymore! Kutools for Excel's Auto Text can add all formulas to a group
as auto text, and liberate your brain! Know About Auto Text Get Free Trial
In Excel, the Format Cells feature also can help you to solve this problem.
1. Select the cells which contain the social security numbers that you want to add dashes.
2. Right click and choose Format Cells from the context menu, see screenshot:
3. And in the Format Cells dialog box, under the Number tab, click Special from the Category pane, and then click Social Security Number under the Type list box.
4. Then click OK to close this dialog, and your numbers have been added the dashes in the original cell range at once.
Actually, if you have Kutools for Excel, you can apply its Add Text function to quickly add dashes to SSN.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. select the SSN cells, and click Kutools > Text > Add Text. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Add Text dialog, type dash - into the textbox below Text, and then check Specify option and type the position you want to add dash into the text box, if you need to add dashes to several positions, using comma to separate them. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok or Apply, then all SSN cells are add dashes in specific locations
|If you are interested in this addi-in, download the 60-days free trial.|
You maybe interested in this:
|In some cases, you may want to remove a number of string from cells by the specific position, such as remove string from left of the cell, from right of cell or a middle of cell. Kutools for Excel's Remove by Position is the one can help you quickly handle it.|