How to split text by space/comma/delimiter in Excel?
If you have a column list of data and you want to split them into several columns by a specific delimiter just like the below screenshots shown, how can you split them in Excel? Maybe some of users think of the Text to Column function only, but now I will introduce not only Text to Columns function, but also a VBA code for you.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Text to Columns feature is very useful to split a list to multiple columns in Excel. This method is talking about how to split data by specified delimiter with Text to Column feature in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Select the column list you want to split by delimiter, and click Data > Text to Columns. See screenshot:
2. Then a Convert Text to columns Wizard dialog pops out, and check Delimited option, and click Next button. See screenshot:
3. In the opening Convert to Text to Columns Wizard - Step 2 of 3 dialog box, please check the delimiter you need to split the data by.
Note: If you need to split your text string by a special delimiter, please check the Other option, and then type the delimiter into following box.
4. Click Finish. Now you can see the column list in selection has been split into multiple columns by the specified delimiter.
Above method can only split text strings into multiple columns. This method will introduce Kutools for Excel's Split Cells utility to split text strings into multiple rows or columns by specified delimiter in Excel easily.
Kutools for Excel - Combines More Than 120 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
1. Select the range you will split text strings (in our case we select the range A1:A9 ), and click Kutools > Text > Split Cells.
2. In the opening Split Cells dialog box, please check the Split to Rows option or Split to Columns options as you need in the Type section, next specify a delimiter in the Specify a separator section, and click the Ok button. See screenshot above:
Now another Split Cells dialog box pops out, please select the first cell of destination range and click the OK button.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoThank you so much for posting this, it's really very helpful at times.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 months ago"172.22.118.13
how do i split that cell information into 3 columns?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 10 months agoTHAK YOU!!!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThanks god, and by that I mean you for this. Saved me a lot work. Thank you again.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThis saved me hours of retyping a list of addresses. THANK YOU!!!!