How to move every other row to column in Excel
Have you ever tried to move every other row data to a column in Excel, like moving every odd row to one column, and every even row to the other column, which are shown as below screenshot. Here I find some tricks that can handle this problem.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
For most of Excel users, using formula to solve problem in Excel is the easiest way.
1. Select a cell next to your data, and type this formula =IF(ISEVEN(ROW(B2)),B2,"") (B2 indicates the data you want to get) into it, and press Enter key then drag the auto fill to fill the range you want use this formula. Now every second row data has been gotten in this column.
2. Then select the other cell next to the above column, and type this formula =IF(ISODD(ROW(B3)),B3,"") (B3 is the data you want to get) into it, and press Enter key then drag the auto fill to fill the range you want use this formula. Now every third row data has been gotten in this column.
The follow VBA also can move every other row to column.
1. Press F11 + Alt keys together on the keyboard to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then click Insert > Module to insert a new module window. And then copy the follow VBA code to the window.
VBA: Move every other row to column.
Sub MoveRange() 'Updateby20140730A Dim rng As Range Dim InputRng As Range, OutRng As Range xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set InputRng = Application.Selection Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8) Set OutRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell):", xTitleId, Type:=8) Set InputRng = InputRng.Columns(1) For i = 1 To InputRng.Rows.Count Step 2 OutRng.Resize(1, 2).Value = Array(InputRng.Cells(i, 1).Value, InputRng.Cells(i + 1, 1).Value) Set OutRng = OutRng.Offset(1, 0) Next End Sub
3. Click Run button or F5 key on the keyboard, and a dialog pops out for you to select a range to move. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK to show the other dialog to select a cell to output the result. See screenshot:
5. Click OK, and you can see the result shown as below:
Besides formulas and VBA, if you have installed Kutools for Excel, you can use its Transform Range feature to quickly move every other row to column.
1. Select the range you want to move every other row, and click Kutools > Range Converter > Transform Range. See screenshot:
2. In the Transform Range dialog, check Single column to range in Transform Type section, and check Fixed value then select or enter 2 in the list in Rows per record section. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok to open a dialog to select a single cell to put out the result, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK. You can see the result as shown as below: