How to move every other row to column in Excel
Have you ever tried to move every other row data to a column in Excel, like moving every odd row to one column, and every even row to the other column, which are shown as below screenshot. Here I find some tricks that can handle this problem.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
For most of Excel users, using formula to solve problem in Excel is the easiest way.
1. Select a cell next to your data, and type this formula =IF(ISEVEN(ROW(B2)),B2,"") (B2 indicates the data you want to get) into it, and press Enter key then drag the auto fill to fill the range you want use this formula. Now every second row data has been gotten in this column.
2. Then select the other cell next to the above column, and type this formula =IF(ISODD(ROW(B3)),B3,"") (B3 is the data you want to get) into it, and press Enter key then drag the auto fill to fill the range you want use this formula. Now every third row data has been gotten in this column.
The follow VBA also can move every other row to column.
1. Press F11 + Alt keys together on the keyboard to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then click Insert > Module to insert a new module window. And then copy the follow VBA code to the window.
VBA: Move every other row to column.
Sub MoveRange() 'Updateby20140730A Dim rng As Range Dim InputRng As Range, OutRng As Range xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set InputRng = Application.Selection Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8) Set OutRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell):", xTitleId, Type:=8) Set InputRng = InputRng.Columns(1) For i = 1 To InputRng.Rows.Count Step 2 OutRng.Resize(1, 2).Value = Array(InputRng.Cells(i, 1).Value, InputRng.Cells(i + 1, 1).Value) Set OutRng = OutRng.Offset(1, 0) Next End Sub
3. Click Run button or F5 key on the keyboard, and a dialog pops out for you to select a range to move. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK to show the other dialog to select a cell to output the result. See screenshot:
5. Click OK, and you can see the result shown as below:
Besides formulas and VBA, if you have installed Kutools for Excel, you can use its Transform Range feature to quickly move every other row to column.
1. Select the range you want to move every other row, and click Kutools > Range Converter > Transform Range. See screenshot:
2. In the Transform Range dialog, check Single column to range in Transform Type section, and check Fixed value then select or enter 2 in the list in Rows per record section. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok to open a dialog to select a single cell to put out the result, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK. You can see the result as shown as below: