How to highlight active cell or selection in Excel?
If you have a large worksheet, maybe it is hard for you to find out the active cell or active selection at a glance. But, if the active cell/section has an outstanding color, to find out it will not be a problem. In this article, I will talk about how to automatically highlight the active cell or selected range of cells in Excel.
The following VBA code can help you to highlight the active cell or a selection dynamically, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then choose ThisWorkbook from the left Project Explorer, double click it to open the Module, and then copy and paste following VBA code into the blank Module:
VBA code: Highlight active cell or selection
Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Excel.Range) 'Update 20140923 Static xLastRng As Range On Error Resume Next Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 xLastRng.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone Set xLastRng = Target End Sub
3. Then save and close this code, and go back to the worksheet, now, when you select a cell or a selection, the selected cells will be highlighted, and it will be dynamically moved as the selected cells changes.
1. If you cannot find the Project Explorer Pane in the window, you can click View > Project Explorer in the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window to open it.
2. In the above code, you can change .ColorIndex = 6 color to other color you like.
3. This VBA code can be applied to all worksheets within the workbook.
4. If there are some colored cells in your worksheet, the color will be lost when you click the cell and then move to other cell.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!