How to extract file extension from worksheet?
If you have a column of file names which including file extensions, and now, you would like to get only the file extensions from the cells for some purpose. To extract them one by one manually will be too tiresome, today, I will introduce you some easy tricks to complete it.
To extract the file extensions from the cells, the following formula can do you a favor.
1. Enter this formula:
=REPLACE(RIGHT(A2,5),1,SEARCH(".",RIGHT(A2,5)),"") into a blank cell besides your data. See screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contains this formula, and all the file extensions have been extracted from the cells, see screenshot:
Another way also can help you to finish this job, to make a User Defined Function.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Extract file extensions from worksheet
Function FileExt(FileName As String) As String 'Update 20141111 On Error Resume Next If InStrRev(FileName, ".") > 0 Then FileExt = Right(FileName, Len(FileName) - InStrRev(FileName, ".")) If Err <> 0 Then MsgBox Err.Description, vbCritical, "Kutools for Excel" End Function
3. Then save and close this code, return to the worksheet, and enter this formula =FileExt(A2) into a blank cell next to your data, see screenshot:
4. And then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contains this formula, and all the file extensions have been extracted from column A, see screenshot:
Tip: In the above formulas, A2 indicates the cell you want to extract extension from.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!