How to paste data into filtered list only skipping hidden rows in Excel?
As we all known, when we attempt to paste values into a filtered table list, the hidden rows are not skipped, so we will get a wrong result. For example, I have two worksheets, Sheet 1 contains the data which has been filtered out, and Sheet 2 has the data which I want to paste it to filtered Sheet 1 as following screenshots shown. Is there any function that we can get the data pasted into the filtered rows only in Excel?
To paste data into filtered list, you need apply some helper columns, please do with the following step by step:
1. First, click Data > Filter to remove the filter, and enter 1, 2 into the cell C2 and C3 separately which next to your filter column, and select cell C2 and C3, then drag the fill handle to the cells corresponding your data in Sheet 1. See screenshot:
2. Then filter your data again by clicking Data > Filter, in this example, I will filter “KTE” from Sheet 1, and type this formula =ROW() into cell D2, then fill this formula to the visible cells you need of column D, see screenshots:
3. And then cancel the filter again, and sort the data by Column D with ascending order, all KTE items have been sorted together, see screenshot:
4. Next, you can copy the data A1: B6 in Sheet 2 and paste them to range A2:B7 of Sheet 1.
5. Then you need to restore the original data order, please click at Column C and sort the data ascendingly, see screenshot:
6. And the data order has been recovered, then you can delete the contents of column C and column D as you need, at last, you can filter your needed data, and you can see the filtered data has been replaced with the new data successfully.
The first method is too complicated to apply, so, here, I will introduce you a handy tool – Kutools for Excel, with its Paste to Visible Range feature, you can quickly to paste the data into the filtered list without much effort.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. First, select the data arrange that you want to copy and paste to the filtered list. And then click Kutools > Range > Paste to Visible Range, see screenshot:
2. And then a Paste to Visible Range prompt box is popped out, click a cell or a range cells where you want to paste the new data, see screenshot:
3. Then click OK button, the new data has been pasted into the filtered list only, and the hidden rows data is kept as well.
(1.) If you choose Only Paste Values option, only values will be pasted into the filtered data, see screesnhot:
(2.) If you choose All option, the values as well as the formatting will be pasted into the filtered data, see screesnhot:
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoNot working. I tried in Office 2007. I copied range of cell and try to paste into visible cells, the clipboard data deleted but its not pasting. Try to provide solution
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI spent hours trying to solve this until I eventually found this awesome website. Thanks!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoVery helpful and straightforward.
I was looking everywhere on the internet and did not find anything. Or tutorials to achieve something else :)
Thanks a lot
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoYOU. ARE. BAE. AND. THE. GOAT.
But seriously thanks so much! I have been looking everywhere for help on this!