How to autocomplete when typing in Excel drop down list?
For a data validation drop-down list with many items, you need to scroll up and down in the list to find the one you need or type the whole word into the list box correctly. Is there any way to make the drop-down list auto-complete when typing the corresponding characters? This would help people work more efficiently in worksheets with drop-down lists in cells. This tutorial provides two methods to help you achieve it.
Please do as follows to make a drop down list autocomplete after typing corresponding letters in the cell.
Firstly, you need to insert a combo box into the worksheet and change its properties.
1. Open the worksheet that contains the drop down list cells you want to make them autocomplete.
2. Before inserting a Combo box, you need to add the Developer tab to the Excel ribbon. If the Developer tab is showing on your ribbon, shift to step 3. Otherwise, do as follows to get the Develper tab show up in the ribbon: Click File > Options to open the Options window. In this Excel Options window, click Customize Ribbon in the left pane, check the Developer box, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
4. Draw a combo box in current worksheet. Right click it and then select Properties from the right-clicking menu.
5. In the Properties dialog box, please replace the original text in the (Name) field with TempCombo.
6. Turn off the Design Mode by clicking Developer > Design Mode.
Then, apply the below VBA code
7. Right click on current sheet tab and click View Code from the context menu. See screenshot:
8. In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please copy and paste the below VBA code into the worksheet’s Code window.
VBA code: Autocomplete when typing in drop down list
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) 'Update by Extendoffice: 2020/01/16 Dim xCombox As OLEObject Dim xStr As String Dim xWs As Worksheet Dim xArr Set xWs = Application.ActiveSheet On Error Resume Next Set xCombox = xWs.OLEObjects("TempCombo") With xCombox .ListFillRange = "" .LinkedCell = "" .Visible = False End With If Target.Validation.Type = 3 Then Target.Validation.InCellDropdown = False Cancel = True xStr = Target.Validation.Formula1 xStr = Right(xStr, Len(xStr) - 1) If xStr = "" Then Exit Sub With xCombox .Visible = True .Left = Target.Left .Top = Target.Top .Width = Target.Width + 5 .Height = Target.Height + 5 .ListFillRange = xStr If .ListFillRange = "" Then xArr = Split(xStr, ",") Me.TempCombo.List = xArr End If .LinkedCell = Target.Address End With xCombox.Activate Me.TempCombo.DropDown End If End Sub Private Sub TempCombo_KeyDown(ByVal KeyCode As MSForms.ReturnInteger, ByVal Shift As Integer) Select Case KeyCode Case 9 Application.ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Activate Case 13 Application.ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate End Select End Sub
9. Press Alt + Q keys simultaneously to close the Microsoft Visual Basic Applications window.
From now on, when click on a drop down list cell, the drop down list will prompt automatically. You can start to type in the letter to make the corresponding item complete automatically in selected cell. See screenshot:
Note: This code does not work for merged cells.
For most Excel users, the above VBA method is hard to master. But with the Searchable Drop-down List feature of Kutools for Excel, you can easily enable autocomplete for data validation drop-down lists in a range, the current worksheet, the current workbook or a specific worksheet as you need in just 2 seconds. What’s more, this feature is available for all Excel versions.
- Select Kutools > Drop-down List > Searchable Drop-down List.
- In the Searchable Drop-down List dialog box, specify where you want to apply this feature in the Set scope section, and then click OK to save the settings.
Once configured, clicking on a drop-down list cell within the specified range will bring up a list box. When you type in characters, as soon as one item matches exactly, the entire word will be autocomplete.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!