How to count number of “Yes” or “No” answer in Excel?
For example you have a worksheet with “Yes”, “No” or other answers, and you want to count the percentage of these answers one by one. Before counting the answer percentage, you need to know the total cell number of “Yes”, “No” or other answers separately. In this article, we will show you how to count cell number of “Yes” or “No” in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
For example you have the answers in the cell range “B15:B21”, with the formula of CountIf function, you can count number of “Yes” or ”No” answer as follows.
Count number of “Yes”
1. Select a blank cell, copy and paste the formula =COUNTIF(B15:B21,"Yes") into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. Then you can see the result display in the selected cell. See screenshot:
Count number of “No”
1. Select a blank cell, copy and paste formula =COUNTIF(B15:B21,"No") into the Formula Bar, and then press Enter key.
Count other answer
For example, if there is answer “Neutrality” mix among Yes and No, you can also count it with CountIf function.
1. Select a blank cell, copy and paste formula =COUNTA(B15:B21)-COUNTIF(B15:B21,"Yes")-COUNTIF(B15:B21,"No")-COUNTIF(B15:B21,"=""") into the Formula Bar, then press Enter key. You will get the number of other answers except “Yes” and “No”, see screenshot:
Note: After copying and pasting the above formulas, you need to change the cell range based on your worksheet.
You can quickly count and select the cells with “Yes”, “No” or other answers as follows.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Please click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells.
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, select the cell range in the Select cells in this range section, choose Cell option in the Selection type section, specify Equals and Yes (or No and others) in the Specific type section, and finally click the Ok button. See screenshot below.
3. Then you can see the total cells of Yes is displaying in the Select Specific Cells dialog box, and then click the OK button.
After clicking the OK button, all cells with Yes in your selected cell range are selected automatically.
You can repeat the above steps to count cells with No or other answers.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
- How to count cell numbers between two values or dates in Excel?
- How to count number of cells with text or number in Excel?
- How to count cells with specific text in Excel?