How to find the first / last value greater than X in Excel?
Supposing, you have a long list of numbers, now, you want to extract the first or the last number which is greater than a specific value. In Excel, you needn’t find them one by one, because here are some formulas to solve it quickly and time-saving.
Find and Select cells greater than and less than x:
Kutools for Excel’s Select Specific Cells feature can help you find and select the specific cells, and then you can replace them with other value or do some formatting for the selected cells you need.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
Take the following data for example, I need to find the first number in column A which is greater than 150.
Please enter this formula: =INDEX(A2:A16,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(A2:A16>150,0),)) (A2:A16 is the data range that you want to use, 150 is the specific number of the criteria you want to greater than), and then press Enter key, you will get the first number which is greater than 150. See screenshot:
Note: To find the last number which is greater than 150, you should apply this formula: =LOOKUP(9.999999999999E+307,IF(A2:A16>150,A2:A16)), and then press Ctrl +Shift + Enter keys together to get the correct result, see screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Select Specific Cells utility, you can find and select all values greater than a specific value in Excel.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Get it Now .|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the values that you want to find.
2. Then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, select Cell from the Selection type, then choose the criterion- Greater than under the Specific type, and enter the number that you want to find the cells based on, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok or Apply button, all the numbers greater than your specific value are selected at once. See screenshot:
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoI've spent the last 45 minutes looking for an answer on how to do this. I figured it out just by looking at the GIF above. Thank you so much!