How to auto number a column in Excel?
Have you ever wanted to number a column in Excel? This tutorial will talk about some methods for numbering a column.
Auto number a column by formula =ROW()
Auto number a column by formula =OFFSET()
Auto number a column by Auto Fill Handle
Number a column by Insert Sequence Number of Kutools for Excel
More tutorials about numbers...
Insert Sequnce Number in Excel
If you want to insert customized sequential numbers in Excel, such as KTE-0001-Jone, KTE-0002-Jone, KTE-0003-Jone..., the sequence strings will not be filled normally when dragging the mouse in Excel. Now, with the Insert Sequence Number utility of Kutools for Excel, you can create any customizing sequence numbers and insert them quickly. Click to download 60-day free trial.
Auto number a column by formula =ROW()
If you want to number the column based on the row numbers, you can type this formula =ROW() into a cell and press Enter key then drag the autofill handle to the cells you need to number.
Auto number a column by formula =OFFSET(A2,-1,0)+1
If you want to auto number the column cells not based on the row number, you can type this formula =OFFSET(A2,-1,0)+1 into Cell A2 which you want to begin the number series from 1, and press Enter key then drag the autofill handle to cells you need.
1. With above formula to auto number a column, A2 is current cell's address, and the cell above this cell must be blank or 0. For example, if you want to enter this formula into Cell K5, the formula should be modified to =OFFSET(K5,-1,0)+1, and the Cell K4 must be blank or 0.
2. If you remove one number from the number series, the below numbers will be start from 1 again.
Do You Want To Have A Pay Raise and Much Time To Accompany With Family?
Office Tab Enhances Your Efficiency By 50% In Microsoft Office Working Right Now
Unbelievable, working at two or more documents is easier and faster than working at one.
Compareed with well-known browsers, the tabbed tool in Office Tab is more powerful and more efficient.
Reduce hundreds of mouse-clicks and keyboard typing every day for you, say goodbye to the mouse hand now.
If you usually work at multiple documents, Office Tab will be a great time-saver for you.
30-day free trial, no credit card required.
Read MoreFree Download Now
Auto number a column by AutoFill function
In Excel, AutoFill function also can help you to number a column.
Type 1 into a cell that you want to start the numbering, then drag the autofill handle at the right-down corner of the cell to the cells you want to number, and click the fill options to expand the option, and check Fill Series, then the cells are numbered. See screenshot.
Note: If you delete one number of the number series, the other numbers are kept.
Insert column number by Insert Sequence Number of Kutools for Excel
If you want to insert custom sequence number to number a column, you can try the Insert Sequence Number tool of Kutools for Excel.
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Click Kutools > Insert > Insert Sequence Number.
2. Click New button to expand the dialog, then set your custom sequence as you need, you can specify the prefix and suffix, also can define the number of digits you want. See screenshot:
3. Click Add to create this sequence, then select a column range you want to insert the numbers, click Fill Range to fill the numbers into cells.
1. In the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, it will mark the last inserted sequential numbers in the Previous list, and if you insert this sequence number at next time, the first sequential number will be marked in Next list.
2. You can click New button to create more sequential numbers.
3. You can click Reset to reset the sequence.
4. With Insert Sequence Number tool, you also can do following operations:
Quickly create and insert repeated sequential numbers in a range of cells
Quickly create and insert sequential numbers in merged cells
How to change or convert number to text in Excel?
Sometimes you may not want the numbers in the cells getting involved in calculating, or you may want to display leading zeros in numbers in cells. For doing so, you may need to change a number into text.
How to identify missing numbers sequence in Excel?
Let's say you have a long list of sequence numbers to mark items, such as check numbers in bank statements, normally we scrolling through and locate the missing sequence numbers manually. However, here are some tricky ways to deal with it.
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!