How to select last cell with data in a row/column in Excel?
In Excel, you can use shortcuts—Ctrl + End to go to the last used cell of the active worksheet. But now if you want to select the last cell with data in a specified row or column, there are no direct methods can solve it. This tutorial will tell you some tricks to quickly select the last cell with data in a certain row or column in Excel.
Select Last Cells
|Kutools' Select Last Cells function can quickly help you to select the last cell or the last column or last row.|
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In Excel, there are no else methods can help you to select last cell with data in a row or column except VBA code. But with the below VBA, you only can specify the location of the last cell in a column.
|Never need to worry about long long formulas in Excel anymore! Kutools for Excel's Auto Text can add all formulas to a group |
as auto text, and liberate your brain! Click here to know Auto Text Click here to get free trial
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to open Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, then copy and paste below VBA code to the popping Module window.
VBA: Select last cell with data in a certain column.
Sub LastRowInOneColumn() 'Updateby20150305 Dim xLastRow As Long With Application.ActiveSheet xLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row End With MsgBox xLastRow End Sub
Note: The A in the code means it will find out the last cell with data in Column A, and you can change it based on your needs.
3. Press Run button or F5 key to running the VBA, then a dialog popped out to tell you where the last cell of the column in.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel in your computer, there is a feature called Select Last Cells, it can select the last cell with data in the last column or row.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
Enable the worksheet you want to select the last cell with data, and click Kutools > Select > Select Last Cells. See screenshot:
If you want to select the last cell with data in the last row, you can apply Select Last Cells > Last Row. See screenshots:
Select last cell with data in the last column, click Select Last Cells > Last Column. See screenshots:
You maybe interested in this:
Insert Blank Rows & Columns(insert multiple blank rows/columns at once, or insert blank rows/columns every nth row/col...)