How to link checkboxes to multiple cells in Excel?
Link the checkboxes to multiple relative cells may help you to quickly and easily do some calculations when you need to sum, count or average only the checked or unchecked cells. But, have you ever tried to link the checkboxes to multiple cells at once in a worksheet?
To link the checkbox to a specific cell, in fact, you can apply a simple formula to link them manually.
1. After inserting the checkboxes in your worksheet, to select the checkbox, please press Ctrl key and then click the first checkbox that you want to link to other cell.
2. Then in the formula bar, type the equal sign =, and then click one cell that you want to link the checkbox to, B2 for example, see screenshot:
3. And then press Enter key on the keyboard, now, when you check this checkbox, the linked cell will display TRUE, if uncheck it, it will display FALSE, see screenshot:
4. Repeated the above steps to link other checkboxes one by one.
If there are hundreds and thousands checkboxes need to be linked to other cells, the first method will not work effectively, to link them to multiple cells at once, you can apply the following VBA code. Please do as this:
1. Go to your worksheet with the list of checkboxes.
2. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
3. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: link checkboxes to multiple cells at once
Sub LinkChecks() 'Update by Extendoffice Dim xCB Dim xCChar i = 2 xCChar = "B" For Each xCB In ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes If xCB.Value = 1 Then Cells(i, xCChar).Value = True Else Cells(i, xCChar).Value = False End If xCB.LinkedCell = Cells(i, xCChar).Address i = i + 1 Next xCB End Sub
4. And then press F5 key to run this code, all checkboxes in the active worksheet have been linked to the cells, when you check the checkbox, its relative cell will display TRUE, if you clear a check box, the linked cell should show FALSE, see screenshot:
Note: In the above code, i = 2, the number 2 is the starting row of your checkbox, and the letter B is the column location where you need link the checkboxes to. You can change them to your need.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!