Supposing you have a list of names locates in column A in Excel, for quickly selecting random name from this list, what would you do? Actually, you can select random name from list with formula. Beside the formula method, we will show you a handy add-in to easily solve this problem.
Please do as follows to select random name from a list in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell besides the list, copy and paste formula =INDEX($A:$A,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA($A:$A)),1) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. You can see a random name is displayed in the selected cell.
1. Select this cell and press F9 key, you will get different names randomly.
2. You can also select the cell and drag the fill handle down to list the random names you need.
3. The random name will be changed automatically every time you refresh the worksheet.
Select random name from a list with Kutools for Excel
With the Sort Range Randomly utility of Kutools for Excel, you can quickly select random names from list in Excel.
1. Highlight the list of names you want to select randomly. And click Kutools > Select > Select Range Randomly. See screenshot:
2. In the Sort/Select Range Randomly dialog box and under the Select tab, please configure as follows.
Specify number of cells you want to select in the No. of cells to select box;
Choose Select random cells option in the Select Type section;
Click the OK or Apply button. See screenshot:
Now the specified number of cells in the name list are selected randomly.
Note: If you want to list the randomly selected names together, please copy and paste them to other cells.
If you want to have a free trial ( 30-day) of this utility, please click to download it, and then go to apply the operation according above steps.
Office Tab - Tabbed Browsing, Editing, and Managing of Workbooks in Excel:
Office Tab brings the tabbed interface as seen in web browsers such as Google Chrome, Internet Explorer new versions and Firefox to Microsoft Excel. It will be a time-saving tool and irreplaceble in your work. See below demo:
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.