How to select random names from a list in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of names locates in column A in Excel, for quickly selecting random name from this list, what would you do? Actually, you can select random name from list with formula. Beside the formula method, we will show you a handy add-in to easily solve this problem.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Please do as follows to select random name from a list in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell besides the list, copy and paste formula =INDEX($A:$A,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA($A:$A)),1) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. You can see a random name is displayed in the selected cell.
1. Select this cell and press F9 key, you will get different names randomly.
2. You can also select the cell and drag the fill handle down to list the random names you need.
3. The random name will be changed automatically every time you refresh the worksheet.
With the Sort Range Randomly utility of Kutools for Excel, you can quickly select random names from list in Excel.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Highlight the list of names you want to select randomly. And click Kutools > Range > Sort Range Randomly. See screenshot:
2. In the Sort Range Randomly dialog box, go to the Select tab, specify number of cells you want to select in the No. of cells to select box, choose Select random cells option in the Select Type section, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now the specified number of cells in the name list are selected randomly.
Note: If you want to list the randomly selected names together, please copy and paste them to other cells.