How to select random names from a list in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of names locates in column A in Excel, for quickly selecting random name from this list, what would you do? Actually, you can select random name from list with formula. Beside the formula method, we will show you a handy add-in to easily solve this problem.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Please do as follows to select random name from a list in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell besides the list, copy and paste formula =INDEX($A:$A,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA($A:$A)),1) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. You can see a random name is displayed in the selected cell.
1. Select this cell and press F9 key, you will get different names randomly.
2. You can also select the cell and drag the fill handle down to list the random names you need.
3. The random name will be changed automatically every time you refresh the worksheet.
With the Sort Range Randomly utility of Kutools for Excel, you can quickly select random names from list in Excel.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Highlight the list of names you want to select randomly. And click Kutools > Range > Sort Range Randomly. See screenshot:
2. In the Sort Range Randomly dialog box, go to the Select tab, specify number of cells you want to select in the No. of cells to select box, choose Select random cells option in the Select Type section, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now the specified number of cells in the name list are selected randomly.
Note: If you want to list the randomly selected names together, please copy and paste them to other cells.