How to find and select hidden cells in Excel?
Normally, when we format a cell as hidden, the cell content won’t display in the formula bar after protecting the worksheet. However, you may forget which cells have been formatted as hidden. Here I will share a couple of ways to find and select hidden cells in Excel.
Kutools for Excel provides a quite easy way to protect or lock specified cells from editing in Excel: unlock the whole worksheet by Selection Unlock button, next lock the specified cells you will lock from editing by Selection Lock button, at last protect current worksheet. Click for detailed steps.
This method is talking about finding out all hidden cells in a specified range and selecting them with Kutools for Excel's Select Cells with Format utility. You can do as follows:
Step 1: Find out a cell formatted as hidden.
Note: If you can’t find out a cell formatted as hidden, you can select a cell and then format it as hidden: Select a cell and click the anchor at the bottom-right corner of Font group on Home tab; in the opening Format Cells dialog box, check the Hidden option on the Protection tab, and click the OK button. See below screen shots:
Step 2: Click the Kutools > Select > Select Cells with Format.
Step 3: In the opening Select Cells with Format dialog box, you need to:
(1) Click the button in the Find Range box, select the range where you want to select all hidden cells, and click the OK button;
(2) Click the Choose Format From Cells button, and then select the hidden cell that you found out or formatted in Step 1, and click the OK button to close the dialog box;
(3) Only check the Hidden option in the Protection section;
(4) Click OK button.
Step 4: Then a dialog box will come out and tell you how many cells have been selected. Click Yes button to close it.
Now you will see all hidden cells are selected in the specified range at once.
This method will guide you to find out all hidden cells in the whole workbook, and fill these hidden cells by color automatically with Kutools for Excel’s Highlight Hidden utility. You can do as follows:
Click the Enterprise > Worksheet Design to activate the Design tab, and then click the Design > Highlight Hidden. See below screen shots:
Then you will see all hidden cells are highlighted by color immediately.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!