How to find or select cells based on certain criteria in Excel?
Supposing you have a data range as following screenshot, and now you want to find or select cells based on certain criteria information in Excel, for example, I will find or select the cells which contain the numbers between 80 and 100. How could you quickly solve this task?
With Filter function of Excel, you can display the cell rows that you need and hide the unwanted rows. You can finish it with the following steps:
1. Highlight the column that you want to select the certain cells.
2. Click Data > Filter, see screenshot:
3. And a small triangle will display at the bottom right corner of the title, click the small triangle, and a menu will appear. Choose Number Filter > Custom Filter… See screenshot:
4. And a Custom AutoFilter dialog box will pop out. Then specify the criteria that you need as following screenshot:
5. Click OK. And all of the cells which fit to the criteria have been displayed, and the others have been hidden.
With this method, the other cells which don’t accord with the criteria will be hidden. But if you don’t want to hide the other cells, and format the cells based on criteria. How could you do?
Conditional Formatting utility can help you to find and format the cells which match your criteria in Excel, please do as this:
1. Select the data range that you want to use.
2. Click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule, see screenshot:
3. In the New Formatting Rule dialog box, select Format only cells that contain option under Select a Rule Type, and then specify the criteria you need under Format the Rule Description, see screenshot:
4. Then click Format button, in the Format Cells dialog, click Fill tab, and select one color you like to shade your cells. See screenshot:
5. Click OK > OK to close the dialogs, and the cells between 80 and 100 have been highlighted at once.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as following steps:
1. Select the data range that you want and click Kutools > Select Tools > Select Specific Cells…, see screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, check Cell from Selection type, and set your criteria under Specific type as you need, see screenshot:
3. After setting the criteria, click OK or Apply button, a prompt message will remind you the number of the selected cells. And all of cells which accord with the criteria have been selected from the range.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!