How to count and remove duplicates from a list in Excel?
Removing duplicates from a list may be usually used in our Excel work, but in some cases, we need to count the number of duplicates then remove them. Here I will tell you some tricks can satisfy your need.
Compare Ranges utility （can compare two ranges, and select and color the same values or different values.）
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
In Excel, you can use Advanced Filter feature to remove the duplicates then apply a formula to count the number of each value.
1. Select the list and click Data > Advanced, see screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Filter dialog, do as these:
(1) Check Copy to another location option;
(2) Select the List range and Copy range;
(3) Check Unique records only.
3. Click OK. Now only unique data is list.
4. Then in a blank cell next to the unique list, type this formula =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$14,C1), press Enter key, then drag the auto fill handle down until 0 appears. See screenshot:
If you just want to count how many duplicates exist and then remove them, you can use below method.
If you have Kutools for Excel, you can use Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility to help you count the duplicates then remove duplicates.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the data list, and click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the popped out dialog, check Duplicates (Except 1st one) or All duplicates (Including 1st one) as you need. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, a dialog pops out to tell you the number of selected duplicates, and at the meanwhile, the duplicates are selected. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. Then press Delete key to remove the duplicates. See screenshot:
If you want to remove the duplicate rows, you can click Home > Delete > Delete Sheet Rows. See screenshots:
Flip Vertical Range/Horizontal Range
|With Kutools for Excel's Flip Range utility, you can quickly flip data horizontally or vertically as you need.|