How to count and remove duplicates from a list in Excel?
Removing duplicates from a list may be usually used in our Excel work, but in some cases, we need to count the number of duplicates then remove them. Here I will tell you some tricks can satisfy your need.
Remove duplicates then count the times of each value in Excel
Count duplicates then remove them with Kutools for Excel
In Excel, you can use Advanced Filter feature to remove the duplicates then apply a formula to count the number of each value.
1. Select the list and click Data > Advanced, see screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Filter dialog, do as these:
(1) Check Copy to another location option;
(2) Select the List range and Copy range;
(3) Check Unique records only.
3. Click OK. Now only unique data is list.
4. Then in a blank cell next to the unique list, type this formula =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$14,C1), press Enter key, then drag the auto fill handle down until 0 appears. See screenshot:
If you just want to count how many duplicates exist and then remove them, you can use below method.
If you have Kutools for Excel, you can use Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility to help you count the duplicates then remove duplicates.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the data list, and click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the popped out dialog, check Duplicates (Except 1st one) or All duplicates (Including 1st one) as you need. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, a dialog pops out to tell you the number of selected duplicates, and at the meanwhile, the duplicates are selected. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. Then press Delete key to remove the duplicates. See screenshot:
If you want to remove the duplicate rows, you can click Home > Delete > Delete Sheet Rows. See screenshots:
Click here to know more about Select Duplicate & Unique Cells.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!