How to insert filename in header/footer/cell without extension in Excel?
Normally an open workbook’s filename and extension are displaying at the top of Excel window. But now I need to insert only filename without the extension at the header, footer, or a cell. How to solve it? In this article I will introduce three solutions.
- Insert filename in Header/Footer without extension by Custom Header/Footer features
- Insert filename in cell without extension by Excel formula
- Insert filename in Header/Footer without extension by Kutools for Excel
Microsoft Excel’s Custom Header feature and Custom Footer feature can help you to insert filename without extension at header or footer easily. Please do as follows:
1. Click the anchor at the bottom-right corner of Page Setup group on the Page Layout tab.
2. In the opening Page Setup dialog box, click Custom Header button or Custom Footer button on the Header/Footer tab. In our example, I click the Custom Header button.
3. Then in the Header dialog box, put cursor at the Left section / Center section / Right section as you need, next click the Insert File Name button, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
4. Click the OK button in the Page Setup dialog box.
So far the filename without extension has been inserted at specified place of header/footer. But inserted filename may be invisible because current worksheet is not in Page Layout view.
5. Please shift current worksheet view to page layout view with clicking the View > Page Layout. See screenshot:
Note: Clicking the Page Layout view button in the Status bar will also shift to the Page Layout view.
We can apply Excel formulas to insert filename without extension into a cell easily. Please do as follows:
Select a blank cell, and enter the formula =TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255),".xl",REPT(" ",255)),255)) into it, and press the Enter key.
You can also apply this formula =MID(CELL("filename",A1),SEARCH("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,SEARCH(".",CELL("filename",A1))-1-SEARCH("[",CELL("filename",A1))) to insert current workbook’s file name into a cell without extension.
Note: If you have never saved current workbook before, both above formulas will return errors.
|Formula is too complicated to remember? Save the formula as an Auto Text entry for reusing with only one click in future! |
Read more… Free trial
If you have Kutools for Excel’s installed, you can apply its Insert Workbook Information utility to insert worksheet name, workbook name, workbook path, user name, or current date and time into a cell, header, or footer easily.
1. Click the Kutools Plus > Workbook > Insert Workbook Information to open the Insert Workbook information dialog box.
2. In the Insert Workbook Information dialog box, please do as follows (see screenshot above):
(1) In the Information section, check the Workbook name option;
(2) In the Insert at section, please check the Header / Footer option as you need;
(3) If you have checked Header option or Footer option, please click the right drop down list and specify a place, such as Center.
3. Click the Ok button.
Then the filename without extension has been inserted at header or footer based on your settings in the Insert Workbook Information dialog box.
(1) When inserting workbook name in a cell with Insert Workbook Information utility, it will return “This workbook never saved” if you have never saved current workbook before.
(2) When inserting workbook name in a cell with Insert Workbook Information utility, it will return filename with extension, such as “20150812.xlsx”.