How to fill column with series repeating pattern numbers in Excel?
Supposing you want to fill a column with repeating pattern numbers such as 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3…. As the Fill Handle cannot help, and type the repeating pattern numbers over and over again takes time in your work, what would you do? Here we will show you methods of filling column with repeating pattern numbers with ease.
You can fill column with repeating pattern numbers with formula as follows.
1. For repeating series “123”, please type 1, 2, 3 separately into cell A1, A2 and A3. And in cell A4, enter formula =IF(A3=3,1,A3+1).
Note: In the formula, 1 is the first number of the series repeating pattern numbers.
2. Drag cell A4’s fill handle down the column until wanted cells are filled with series repeating pattern numbers. See screenshot:
Note: Your sequence number must be start from number 1, if not, you will get incorrect result.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Click Kutools > Insert > Insert Sequence Number. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, click the New button to expand the dialog box, then you need to:
3. Now the repeating series is created, select the column cell, and click the series in the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, then click the Fill Range button.
You can see the series repeating pattern numbers are filled in selected column immediately. See screenshot:
4. Just close the dialog box. The created series was saved in the Insert Sequence Number dialog box for feature use.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!