How to move cells from horizontal to vertical or vice versa?
Supposing, you have a list of names in a worksheet, and now, you want to move the cells in that column to a horizontal row as following screenshot shown. How could you move cells from vertical column to horizontal row or vice versa quickly and easily in Excel?
The following TRANSPOSE function can help you transpose the vertical cells to horizontal cells.
1. Select the horizontal cells where you want to put the result. See screenshot:
2. In the formula bar, please paste this formula: =TRANSPOSE($A$1:$A$11), （$A$1:$A$11 is the list that you want to convert to horizontal cells, you can change the cell reference to your need）, see screenshot:
3. After pasting the formula, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together, and the cells in vertical have become horizontal row, see screenshot:
Note: This formula also can help you to convert a horizontal row to a vertical column by just changing the cell reference.
In Excel, there is also has an easy tool – Paste Special feature, it may help you to paste the data from vertical to horizontal or vice versa. Please do as follows:
1. Select the data column that you want to move to a row.
2. Then copy the column by pressing Ctrl + C, and then click a cell to put the result, right click it, choose Pate Special from the context menu, see screenshot:
3. In the Paste Special dialog box, select All under the Pate section, and choose None from the Operation section, and then check Transpose check box, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK button, the vertical column data has been transposed to horizontal row.
Tips: With the Paste Special function, you also can convert a horizontal row to a vertical column.
If you are interested in other useful tool, here, I can recommend Kutools for Excel, with its Transform Range feature, you can convert vertical column to horizontal row and vice versa, besides, you can also convert multiple columns or rows into one single column or row.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do with following steps:
1. Select the column data cells, and then click Kutools > Range > Transform Range, see screenshot:
2. In the Transform Range dialog box, select Range to single column or Range to single row that you want, see screenshot:
3. Then click Ok button, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select a cell to output the result, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, the cells have been moved from vertical column to horizontal row, see screenshot:
Tips: To move cells from horizontal row to vertical column, you just need to select Range to single column in the Transform Range dialog box.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!