How to convert comma separated text string to list or rows in Excel?
Convert comma separated text string to rows with VBA code
The following VBA code may help you to convert multiple comma separated cell values to a column, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
VBA code: Convert comma separated text string to rows or list
Dim xArr() As String
Dim xAddress As String
Dim Rg As Range
Dim Rg1 As Range
On Error Resume Next
xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address
Set Rg = Application.InputBox("please select the data range:", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8)
If Rg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Set Rg = Application.Intersect(Rg, Rg.Parent.UsedRange)
If Rg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Set Rg1 = Application.InputBox("please select output cell:", "Kutools for Excel", , , , , , 8)
If Rg1 Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
xArr = Split(Join(Application.Transpose(Rg.Value), ","), ",")
Rg1.Resize(UBound(xArr) + 1) = Application.Transpose(xArr)
Rg1.Resize(UBound(xArr) + 1).Select
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, in the popped out dialog box, select the data range that you want to convert, see screenshot:
4. And click OK, in the following dialog, specify a cell where you want to output the result, see screenshot:
5. Click OK button, the selected comma separated cell values have been converted into a list of rows. See screenshot:
Convert comma separated text string to rows with Kutools for Excel
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Split Cells utility, you can quickly split the comma separated cell values into multiple rows or columns based on the comma delimiter as you need.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do with following steps:
1. Select the cell values that you want to convert to rows based on the comma separator.
2. Then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Split Cells dialog box, select Split to Rows option under the Type section, and then from the Specify a separator section, check Other checkbox and then enter the comma into the text box, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok, and another dialog will pop out to remind you select a cell to put the result, see screenshot:
5. And then click Ok button, the comma separated cells have been split into multiple rows based on the comma delimiter, see screenshot:
Click to know more about this Split Cells feature…
Download and free trial Kutools for Excel Now !
Demo: Convert comma separated text string to rows with Kutools for Excel
How to split cells into multiple columns or rows by carriage return?
How to split cell values into multiple columns in Excel?
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!