How to prevent cell content overflow in Excel?
When you type a long text string in a cell, the cell context will overflow to next cell. If you enable wrapping text for this cell, the row height will be changed automatically with the typing text. However, sometimes you may need to prevent cell content from overflowing to other cells without affecting row height. Below solutions will help you get it done.
- Prevent cell contents from overflowing with Format Cell feature
- Prevent cell contents from overflowing with Kutools for Excel
This method will guide you to format cells to prevent cell contents from overflowing in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Select the column/list that you will prevent cell contents from overflowing, right click and select the Format Cells from the right-clicking menu.
2. In the opening Format Cells dialog box, go to Alignment tab, and select Fill from the Horizontal drop down list. See screenshot:
3. Click the OK button. Then you will see all cell contents in selected column/list are not overflowing to next cells as above screenshot shown.
(1) This method is effective when all the selected cells overflow with text; this ensures proper text cropping. However, if a cell has shorter text, the Fill function will repeat the content until the cell is full.
(2) You can also shrink selected cell contents to fit cells with checking the Shrink to fit option on the Alignment tab in Format Cells dialog box. See screenshot:
As you know, long cell content won’t overflow if next cell is not blank. This method will introduce to add space to all blank cells to prevent cell contents from overflowing easily.
1. Select the range that you will prevent cell contents from overflowing, and click Kutools > Insert > Fill Blank Cells.
2. In the opening Fill Blank Cells dialog box, check the Fixed value option, type a space into the Filled value box. See screenshot:
3. Click the Ok button.
Then you will see all cell contents are not overflowing in selected range. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel's Fill Blank Cells utility can help Excel users quickly fill all blank cells in the specified range with values above, below, left, right, or with a fixed value, etc.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!